Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Special needs nannies

(3 Posts)
jmb1964 Mon 13-Jun-05 23:55:55

Does anyone out there have any experience in this?
We have 4 children, ds1 is 7 and has Aspergers syndrome. Our current nanny leaving us after 3 years (fed up with the fights, also a bit stale and needing a change). How much should I say about his diagnosis? 3 years ago he was just a 'wild child', now he has a label .
What sort of a premium do nannies expect for this extra challenging sort of work (short hours, 20-30 hrs/week over 3-4 days, live-out)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts..
Has anyone (nannies or parents) used snap childcare, and are they any good?

omega2 Tue 14-Jun-05 10:39:09

i would try asking this question on www.nannyjob.co.uk as you will probably get a better response. I've never used snap childcare but a lot of other nannies recommend it.

binkie Tue 14-Jun-05 11:12:02

I had a word with snap, but found someone elsewhere before they had any candidates to offer. I got the impression they need rather longer notice than other agencies - as perhaps you'd expect. (By the way, I spoke to them because ds (6), who doesn't have a dx, does have some Asperger's type traits and the nanny who was leaving us had found him difficult - so I thought someone with experience of HFA would take him in her stride. Snap said that kind of child was well within what they expect to help with.)

The rates snap recommended for us weren't materially more than the usual going rate - that's probably because nannies who use snap are positively looking for that sort of work so may not need extra money incentives - more likely to be looking for incentives in the way of particular kinds of experience/development opportunities.

I'd say do try them, and let us know how you get on. Sending you all the best - it can be an anxious time.

PS we, and ds, are very happy with our new nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now