Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nappy changing, do we have to use latex free gloves everytime?

(16 Posts)
Ripeberry Wed 21-Oct-09 21:18:00

It's just that my mindee in a 10hr day can poo over 5 times so in a week that adds up to a lot of nappies and gloves!
Non-latex are so expensive compared to the normal ones.

allaboutme Wed 21-Oct-09 21:19:10

can you not just use no gloves and wash your hands afterwards?

Katymac Wed 21-Oct-09 21:34:28

Why can't you use latex one?

I buy them by the 500 (or something) in Macro - can't remember how much they are - but they are well cheaper than at the supermarket

HSMM Wed 21-Oct-09 21:55:27

I use latex ones, because none of the children in my care are allergic, so it's not a problem.

MrsBadger Wed 21-Oct-09 22:03:34

are you buying vinyl or nitrile?

if you can't have latex, vinyl are usu MUCH cheaper

Katymac Wed 21-Oct-09 22:26:09

vinyl are the ones I use

They are 'food standard' or something

MrsBadger Thu 22-Oct-09 09:02:54

yes that's the ones Katy

we had to swap from latex in the lab, but vinyl aren;t stretchy enough to be comfy for all day so we have nitrile, which are about double the price.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 22-Oct-09 13:37:22

cms have to wear gloves to change a nappy?[fshock] hmm

how silly is that

why cant you just wash your hands afterwards - like us nannys do?

ayla99 Thu 22-Oct-09 14:59:46

theres no law or regulation to say that we HAVE to (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) use gloves at all.

But its considered good practice, and expected by many. Childminders may have to change different children from different families and childminders are expected to take steps to avoid spreading problems from one child to the next. Using gloves proves you've thought about this possibility. If you don't use gloves, Ofsted/parents could make an assumption that you're not very considerate about hygiene (not that anyone from Ofsted has ever watched me or asked me about my nappy changing procedures - parents have though).

As a nanny you most likely have only one child to change, if not parents may possibly be a bit more laid back about what siblings may catch from each other than they would be from other people's children.

Not all childminders use them, some people think using gloves makes people less thorough in their handwashing technique and some children don't like them.

HSMM Thu 22-Oct-09 15:34:53

Ofsted have watched me change nappies and have commented on my use of gloves. Some of the children don't like it when they first start, but they soon get used to it.

Ripeberry Thu 22-Oct-09 17:56:09

Is it OK to wear the glove on just the hand that is doing the 'business'? That way I could save quite a few gloves grin.
Also its difficult with my mindee as he uses real nappies with lots of layers and nippas.
They are a real pain to get on and off with gloves!

I don't wear gloves, just wash my hands before and after nappy change, then use antibac gel on top. Ofsted didnt comment when I did it during inspection.

Found that baby wipes just slip-slide all over the goddamn place when you try to wipe babybots with gloves on grin

atworknotworking Thu 22-Oct-09 18:45:37

I use latex (no allergies here) costs about £5 for 100 from the local chemist.

May be wrong but I thought we wern't supposed to have skin to skin contact in the bot area.

I put one on though the hand that does the wiping obv, or 2 if its a particuarly big explosion, never had a problem with the mindees infact they get out their own canging mats, nappy, nappy bag and pass me a glove as well (I train them well grin) use bac gel as well and the little ones always have it on too afterwards.

HSMM Thu 22-Oct-09 20:48:26

I often just use one glove too - 1 for the 'dirty bits' and one clean one to pin the child down keep the little darling safe and get the bits out of the drawer. Resort to 2 gloves in extreme circumstances grin

pippin26 Thu 22-Oct-09 22:16:32

I don't use gloves, I just make sure my hands are washed - soap and warm water, anti bac gel.
Not been commented on before

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 23-Oct-09 01:02:44

i don't use gloves but i only change one childs nappy just thoroughly wash with anti-bac soap and everyone else wipes them selves!
ofsted did ask if i used gloves or had considered using them - i said no, it wasn't a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now