Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Could I take my DD to childminder if she's taking penicillin

(7 Posts)
TheBightyMoosh Tue 20-Oct-09 20:52:07

My DD's (23months) got a cough which has got a little worse today - I took her to the doctor who prescribed her penicillin. I asked if I should keep her at home rather than going to the childminder if she's going affect the other kids there, and he said she wouldn't be infectious, so she should be fine to go back. However, my childminder has now said that she won't have her back for at least three days - so who's right? I fully respect my childminders position, and if she says she can't take DD, then I won't make a fuss, but I just wanted to see if she's following the right advice.

Thanks

gingernutlover Tue 20-Oct-09 20:55:14

my dd's nursery will take a child once they have been on antibiotics for 24 hours.

obviously not with nasty infectious things. But surely a cough is something that has developed from a cold so it isnt actually the cough that's infectious.

What does your contract say about it? Is it that specific?

xoxcherylxox Tue 20-Oct-09 20:58:40

what is her reason for not taking your DD back is it because she was sick that shes saying that she needs to be off for 48hrs or is it just the penicillin. i am a childminder and i will take a child with medicine and give medicine if the child has had it before as long as the parent gives the 1st dose and the last. but if it was a medication the child hadnt had then i would not administer it for the 1t 24hrs incase of reaction so would mayb suggest the child stay off a day at home so that mum give the medication to make sure there is no reaction.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 20-Oct-09 21:01:50

It all depends on what your cm's sickness policy says.

sofewbraincellsleft Tue 20-Oct-09 21:23:26

Won't take your dd for at least 3 days, that sounds very odd to me! did she specifically say why?

Agree too that it does depend on her sickness policy which you should have a copy of.

As long as child is not infectious, I will take child (without temp) if child has had antibiotics previously.

stomp Tue 20-Oct-09 22:19:23

Difficult one. I generally do not take notice of what doctors say to parents because they do not understand the EYFS welfare requirements wink and i've yet to meet a doctor with much common sense wink. I have a clear policy and stick to it, but i would not ask a parent to keep a child away for that lenght of time, 3 days for a chest infection is a little too long. However I would expect a parent to keep the child home for at least a day- and only have the child if they are well and able to continue with normal activities. What does your childminders policy say? and have you asked why she is excluding for 3 days? i'm sure she wouldnt mind you asking her reasoning on this.

susiey Thu 22-Oct-09 11:30:56

my childminder would take my ds if it was this case

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now