Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Inspector said: "You need to have English as 1st language to get outstanding in EYFS"?!

(26 Posts)
Nefertiti Tue 20-Oct-09 17:24:34

I have had an inspector recently and she told me I cannot get outstanding in "The quality of the provision in the EYFS", as English is not my 1st language. angry Is this true?

I already have level 3 qualification in home-based childcare bussiness, comprehensive written paperwork, observation, planning and risk assessment all done in English.

I also deliver my childminding bussines in English.

Do you know someone whose English in not the first language and got outstanding according to the EYFS?

xoxcherylxox Tue 20-Oct-09 17:28:13

i think thats terrible is tht not a form of discrimantion. surely if your doing everything right and the way it should be then it shouldnt matter about your language. i would def look into it and take it further

looneytune Tue 20-Oct-09 17:32:43

OMG, that's disgusting and discrimination imo!!! shock You really need to make a formal complaint about this. I'm in the middle of a big complaint with Ofsted and they are in a lot of trouble already (I can't go into details on here).

southeastastra Tue 20-Oct-09 17:36:48

agree take it further, that's terrible

Numberfour Tue 20-Oct-09 18:17:47

i would call the papers too. bloody ridiculous.
def complain in writing and follow up.

nannynick Tue 20-Oct-09 18:48:07

You need to follow this up with Ofsted. If it is true, then I can't see how it isn't discrimination of some kind. Initially feedback what the inspector told you to the Ofsted Helpline (via signed e-mail may be fastest) and request that they pass that information on to the that inspectors team manager. That team manager I feel should then be able to deal with the situation, without it needing to be made into a more formal complaint. If they can't deal with it (such as by reassessing your inspection report) then put in a formal complaint against Ofsted Policies & Procedures.
Ofsted may only be following guidance by DCSF - Ofsted didn't create EYFS they just have the duty to regulate it. But as it was their inspector who told you this, then first point of call I feel is Ofsted... and best immediate person is that inspectors manager.

atworknotworking Tue 20-Oct-09 19:10:21

Thats shocking shock I would be pretty outraged if this happened to me, if you do your job well then you should be graded accordingly, I'm presuming that your use of the English language is good, as your post is very literate (have read things by people who's 1st language isnt E and it stands out a mile). I agree that you should take this further as Nannynick says 1st port of call is Ofsted as they are delivering the inspections, it might also be worth asking the same question to DCSF something like As a childminder delivering EYFS what is your policy if E isn't a first language, and would this be viewed as detrimental to the outcomes of the children in my care.

Surely the Inspector could see how much more you are able to offer the children culturally and perhaps even by teaching them your native language.

<<highjack>>

looney Often wondered how it was going - YOU GO GIRL!!

Danthe4th Tue 20-Oct-09 19:14:05

I could be wrong but I think its only if you don't promote english I was reading the guidance for inspectors the other night, i'll go take another look.

Danthe4th Tue 20-Oct-09 19:40:43

childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/inspectorsinform.html
I can't find what I was reading but its in this document somewhere.

Nefertiti Tue 20-Oct-09 20:29:52

Thank you all for your help and support.
I have sent a complaint to Ofsted and I will update you on their reply.
Have you been subject or do you know someone who had a similar experience?
I have read the document that Danthe4th has kindly attached. It does not indicate that having English as a first language is a requirement for outstanding grade. It only specifies the minimum English skills needed for childminding. The grading table at the end of the document has no mentioning of this either. Have you heard or met a childminder with outstanding grade whose English is not the first language?

argento Tue 20-Oct-09 20:35:39

I'm sure this can't be the official line! Either that inspector has misunderstood something or it's their own personal prejudice.

frakula Tue 20-Oct-09 20:40:17

Er, you WHAT?! That's appalling.

I don't know anyone with an Outstanding, EMT or not, but just wanted to say how horrified I am.

nannynick Tue 20-Oct-09 20:54:28

Not sure if it is any help, but you can search the Ofsted Outstanding Providers List to see who is on it. Don't think it will tell you anything about if the providers first language is English or not.

You may be able to get that information via your MP... they could ask a Written Question of DCSF in which DCSF pass the enquiry on to Ofsted, thus providing the number of providers (or just childminders) in a specific time period whose first language was not English. Does Ofsted obtain that information at time of registration though... or do they just obtain information on ethnicity?

Danthe4th Tue 20-Oct-09 22:30:28

I would think the inspector that has said this will be sent for extra training as it is clearly wrong, I look forward to hearing what they say and how they are going to dig themselves out of this one.Well done for taking it further.

Littlefish Tue 20-Oct-09 22:39:08

Slightly off the subject, by dd's lovely childminder was told that she could not get an Outstanding grade as she wasn't a nursery!

looneytune Wed 21-Oct-09 10:09:00

There you go, another example of how bloody inconsistent they are!!! I know loads of CMs who've had Outstanding!!! How hard it is to make this clear to inspectors across the board!!! hmm

BonsoirAnna Wed 21-Oct-09 11:39:01

It's not discrimination to insist on MT level of proficiency of a language in working environment.

Katymac Wed 21-Oct-09 13:17:32

No but it is discriminatory to say that because English is a second language you would not meet that level of proficiency

Surely each case could be taken on it's own merits and that persons fluency

Bucharest Wed 21-Oct-09 13:22:28

It isn't even necessary that EFL teachers have English as a first language!

Interested to hear the outcome of this.

Good luck OP!

looneytune Wed 21-Oct-09 16:14:22

Agree with Katy

llllll Wed 21-Oct-09 17:42:05

I do know of a childminder who got outstanding and English wasn't her first language. I have heard of inspectors saying that you cant get an outstanding on your first inspection

WailingGhoshe Wed 21-Oct-09 17:50:29

I got told by one Inspector that she would never award Outstanding, because we all have something to strive for!

foxytocin Wed 21-Oct-09 17:54:55

THAT IS FUCKING AWFUL AND I WOULD BE TAKING LEGAL ADVICE ON THAT OP sorry @ caps.

has the BNP infiltrated the inspectorate?

pippin26 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:06:11

That is appalling and discriminatory.

Are you absolutely sure she said this? You couldn't have misunderstood what was said? Sorry to ask but I find that so outrageous that an Ofsted inspector has told you this.

Was this actually during an inspection?

I hope you have the inspectors name and I would be putting in a complaint to Ofsted asap. I would not let this rest or accept that at all

looneytune Thu 22-Oct-09 14:56:14

Pippin - I'm afraid this doesn't at all surprise me, in fact nothing I hear about Ofsted inspectors surprises me any more. Something really does need to be done about it, I wonder if that's why they're outsourcing some of the inspection process?!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now