Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nannies with a long period off work!!

(7 Posts)
crispycake Tue 20-Oct-09 17:19:48

Hi
I was involved in an accident last week and i am going to be off work for 12 weeks! (a long time i know)
I have been with my family for a year now. They have just got a temp in but im abit worried that they might not take me back as it maybe easier for them!
They cannot do this can they?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 20-Oct-09 17:58:54

tbh not sure of the legal aspects

sure nick or flowery will help

i think as you have been there for over a year they cant just sack you

do you have sick pay in your contract?

i assume that if they are paying the temp instead of you that it wont make any finanical difference to the family, tho obv there will be some emotional

hope you are ok - can i ask what happened to you?

<nosey icon>

nannyl Tue 20-Oct-09 18:19:16

i agree with blondes.

Unless you do something really bad (gross misconduct) or do other slightly bad things and they follow formal warnings etc they can not legally sack you, then replace you with someone else (unless they wait 3 months, so will have no nanny working for them for 6 months)

I really hope you feel better soon, and try not to worry as im sure they wont (and cant) sack you.... (and if they did would you REALLY want to be working for them?)

nannyl Tue 20-Oct-09 18:19:55

i mean no nanny for 3 months (not 6)

nannynick Tue 20-Oct-09 19:23:59

I think they may be able to dismiss you though they would need to be careful about how they did it. See BusinessLink: Long Term Sickness
I'm not sure what the definition of Long Term Sickness is though. It may be the case that anything under a certain period of time is not considered to be Long Term. A tribunal would take the size of the employer into account... they have just one employee - so they can't give your work to another person very easily.

Flowery is your best bet for this one. She does post on here occasionally... though you may catch her attention over on the Employment Issues board.

Probably best to try not to worry about it too much until it is actually a problem. I know that's hard to do... but good employers won't immediately try to dismiss an employee. Your employer has arranged a temp, so your job is being covered and with luck that temp can work the entire period you need off.

crispycake Thu 22-Oct-09 16:07:54

Thank you all for the messages! I wont worry too much just yet!
BLONDES HAVE MORE FUN!
I got hit by a motorbike on my way to work the other week and have fractured my leg!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 22-Oct-09 17:33:44

ouch

poor you - wishing you a speedy recovery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now