Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can I ask some daft questions on registering as a childminder please?

(19 Posts)
slimeoncrazydemon Sat 17-Oct-09 19:23:08

Message withdrawn

TeamAlesha Sat 17-Oct-09 19:44:39

Im in the South East and charge 4.50 a hour.

I know someone who recently registered, and it took her 4 months. It took me 6 months, but that was 8 years ago now!

What info do you need? You could check the Childrens Information Service website, NCMA or Ofsted.

slimeoncrazydemon Sat 17-Oct-09 19:46:10

Message withdrawn

bonkerz Sat 17-Oct-09 19:47:38

registering can take 6 months plus because you have to do first aid and ICP before you are approved. the ICP is 12 weeks long!

TeamAlesha Sat 17-Oct-09 19:48:07

Its normally once a week as far as I know. It's normally the CRB's that hold things up.

slimeoncrazydemon Sat 17-Oct-09 19:53:01

Message withdrawn

nannynick Sat 17-Oct-09 20:39:41

Introduction to Childminding Practice

The Bromley Childminding Association website contains a lot of information about childminding in general. Such as How To Become A Childminder.

slimeoncrazydemon Sat 17-Oct-09 21:02:31

Message withdrawn

Shiney - Direct said friend to very helpful (hence the name grin)

thebody Sun 18-Oct-09 13:00:17

can take much longer than six months unfortunatly.. its the CRB checks that are the slow one, also she has to do the first aid course and they can get filled up really quickly, tell her to get booked on asap..

Hope it works out for you both and doesnt spell the end of a nice friendship!!! just a gentle can sour the best of relationships....

slimeoncrazydemon Sun 18-Oct-09 15:18:42

Message withdrawn

bonkerz Sun 18-Oct-09 15:50:22

will friend be taking on other children or purely registering for you child?? this is a big thing to consider because there is alot of work to do for one child and thats where money issues and small quibbbles can occur.......

Can she be your Nanny instead? At your house?

slimeoncrazydemon Sun 18-Oct-09 17:06:55

Message withdrawn

nannynick Sun 18-Oct-09 17:14:26

A nanny works at the home of the child they are caring for. Nannies currently don't have to be registered - though in England they can optionally choose to be registered with Ofsted so that they are able to accept Childcare Vouchers.
A nanny is your employee, so you can tell them what to do if necessary. You would need to operate PAYE (but you can get payroll companies to do most of that paperwork for you). So it's a bit more complex money wise than paying a childminder but not greatly so - you just need to remember to save up the correct amounts of money to send on to HMRC every quarter.
You could start this arrangement immediately.

bonkerz Sun 18-Oct-09 17:14:33

if she is registering just for you she needs to make sure she knows everything she will be expected to do regardless of if you want it or not. She will be expected to follow the EYFS, do observations and possibly go on further training, it is alot of stuff to do for one childs income. I speak from experience. I am a qualified nursery manager and gave up childminding as i could not justify all the extra hours of paperwork and planning and training when i only had one full time child! its no longer a case of care alone its about education as well for 0-5 year olds!
you are right about the legalities of it though but have you considered letting her look after your child in YOUR home......she can mind in her own home for 2 hours a day without being registered.

slimeoncrazydemon Sun 18-Oct-09 18:10:51

Message withdrawn

bonkerz Sun 18-Oct-09 18:18:52

slime....its only fair you know what is involved in being a childminder! like i said i am a level 3 qualified nursery manager and when i had 3 full timers it was worth the extra hours for all the things i said BUT 2 of my mindees started school and i had one child aged 32 months and after 4 months of actively seeking more mindees i realised it was not worth my while minding for one child especially now you have to pay for training etc.

nannynick Sun 18-Oct-09 18:20:59

If she was your nanny and you are in England, then she would need to register with Ofsted as a Home Childcarer, which would like childminding involve CRB Check, training course, First aid, insurance etc. But it wouldn't involve them doing as much educational things with your child... as Home Childcarers are exempt from EYFS. So you will still have timescale issues, though the registration process is a little easier for your friend.

Another potential issue with having them as a nanny, is that you would need to comply with National Minimum Wage (currently £5.80 gross per hour, assuming they are aged 22+)... which may be more than you would pay them as a childminder - depends on what the rate of pay they were wanting once registered as a childminder of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now