Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB - those of you who have part timers (i.e. half day)

(11 Posts)
looneytune Sat 17-Oct-09 18:39:14

I've just taken dh on as an assistant and am working through my waiting list which is proving a tad difficult (15 people on it and all sorts of different requirements, trying to make everything fit in!)

Anyway, I've sorted 1 out today and another meeting arranged but before I meet with the one on Monday, I have to get some things sorted in my head.

With all the people I've got, I could have a variety of half days included in filling these extra spaces but something concerns me.........what about school hols? I quite often take the children out on day trips etc. but now I'm wondering if I'd be able to do that if I had to be here for pick off/next drop off in the middle of the day? hmm

If you have part day children, does it all work ok or do you find it a bit restricting?

I do have 1 adhoc mindee who has been coming in the hols for a while but their parents know I can never 'guarantee' this as they have no fixed contract. I did think about saying to the prospective parents that I'd not be able to do half days in the holidays and it would have to be full or not at all on those odd occasions. This worked once before and these parents seem quite flexible so we'll see but I'm just trying to get everything clear in my head before I meet anyone.

So if you could let me know how half day mindees work for you, that would be great

if it is only one or two days then fine, but if it was every day then you would find it very limiting. i have that problem on one day of the week and we are basically tied to within 10 mins walk of the house on those days with all the comings and goings. Not all my families have transport so can't meet us places.

atworknotworking Sat 17-Oct-09 19:19:22

Hi Looney, congrats to DH on his new job grin.

I have a bit of a headache during hols as quite a few of mine come for odd days / half days and a couple come at 11am and some go at 3pm pita if you want to go anywhere for the day, however most of my parents are quite happy for us to drop off later or drop mindees off earlier if needed and offer to pay for the extra time, so generally works ok. The main problem we have (DH is also assistant) is enough seats in the car, we quite often end up taking some in car (7 seater) and some on the bus/taxi to get from a to b, which can be a bit of a chew on and adds quite a bit to the cost of outings.

looneytune Sat 17-Oct-09 19:43:29

Thanks for your replies

I definitely won't be doing a variety of drop off times etc. My latest drop off is 9.30am atm and I'm only happy to do half days i.e. down the middle so say til 12/1ish with another child taking the other half of the day, if that makes sense. And yes, I did think that it would be ok if not everyday, I think every day would be too much.

I am quite lucky that several of the enquiries are flexible, I get a lot of people who work for themselves, so I can tell them my concerns and see what we can do over the hols.

I've put this big chart together but due to the different times etc, I don't think it's as clear as I need it to be. If by any chance anyone has something they've already put together that I can use, I'd be very grateful wink

atwork - I already fill my 7 seater most days as it is so the only option for when it's school hols would be taking both cars I think (I'll have 6 aged 2 and under and 2 over 5 and I think that's a bit much for buses etc. plus we're not in walking distance to all the groups I attend). How do you find it working with dh? Do you do it all together or have your own responsibilites throughout the day?

Thanks again.

HSMM Sat 17-Oct-09 22:05:58

I have historically had a number of 1/2 day children and it has been a pain for days out. I have not had children who fill the other half of the day, so I have always ended up asking the parent if I could please borrow their child for the whole day (no extra charge), so we can go out for the day. Now, I have changed my policy, so I have a daily charge and if they only want a half day, they pay for the whole day. Much easier for me (and the bank manager).

dmo Sat 17-Oct-09 23:29:19

i have my hourly fee during half term but in the hols i have a day fee with a timetable showing parents what times we will be out, where we are going and what the child needs smile it helps the parents and me

Katymac Sat 17-Oct-09 23:44:57

Looney email me - I have a spreadsheet that does timetabling for me - it is fab & I share

looneytune Sun 18-Oct-09 00:35:49

Cheers for that, maybe a daily rate for hols would be worth thinking about.

Katy - I've just emailed

Katymac Sun 18-Oct-09 14:42:45

I've sent it

Katymac Sun 18-Oct-09 14:43:46

Read the instructions wink

hennipenni Mon 19-Oct-09 15:01:38

I do the same as HSMM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now