Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you object to this advert?

(17 Posts)
nannynick Fri 16-Oct-09 07:23:28

Just wanted to get some views with regard to what is considered acceptable advertising these days within the childcare sector.

Here is an example advert

I am the aunt of 2 boys of 10 and 11 helping my sister to find childcare as she is too busy at the moment.
Requirements: We are looking for a male

Would you object to that?

In my view, if they didn't state that they their requirement was for a male, then I feel it's fine. But because it does state that, then I feel it is likely to breach advertising standards regulations, Sex Discrimination and Equality legislation.

atworknotworking Fri 16-Oct-09 07:39:33

I agree it must break a few of the PC rules, personally I think there should be more Nannynicks in childcare, but the advert is a bit blatant, maybe mum / aunt has an ulterior motive hmm

dmo Fri 16-Oct-09 08:19:29

sounds like it will be hard work if the mother does not have time to advertise herself

colditz Fri 16-Oct-09 08:26:04

I think they are probably looking for amale to be a male role model. With all the sporty will in the world, a woman cannot be a man, and it seems like they specifically want the boys to see a man in action.

As a single parent of two boys, I can totally see their point. Children need men in their lives, and boys especially can feel disenfranchised if they nnever see a man doing anything useful.

PuppyMonkey Fri 16-Oct-09 08:35:57

I think it does breach the equality rules somehow.

Katymac Fri 16-Oct-09 08:43:19

Aren't there rules about if you need certain types of personal care being allowed to specify a sex? Maybe one of the boys has an additional need?

PoisonToadstool Fri 16-Oct-09 08:45:15

I think it's okay actually, re what Katy says about personal care - so e.g. if you are after a carer for an elderly female relative, you are not obliged to consider any male applicants, and vice versa.

Though agree with dmo!

StillSquiffy Fri 16-Oct-09 09:19:31

For live-in jobs where the person is involved in family life, you are allowed to discriminate on both gender and religion. I am not sure if gender orientation has also been added to the list since it was incorporated into equality legislation, but I guess that is possible too.

But a daft advert from start to finish IMHO

PixiNanny Fri 16-Oct-09 09:23:21

To me it just sounds like one of them is after a boyfriend and has found a somewhat clever way of interviewing men without having to date them! grin

nannynick Fri 16-Oct-09 09:39:04

I thought you were allowed to select someone based on gender, as it is a domestic care job but that advertising specifically wasn't permitted unless it fitted the exemption rules and a statement was added to the advert stating the exemption.
Advertising codes of conduct for publishers I think are a bit different to gender equality legislation, thus why I think it may be legal to aim to recruit someone of a specific gender but not to advertise that being a specific gender is a requirement.

StillSquiffy Fri 16-Oct-09 09:48:56

You might be right about them needing to put as comment at bottom that post falls within a qualifying exemption under the equality act, but have never seen anyone bother in childcare ads - you only really see them in public sector job ads. Am sure that you are allowed to advertise for one gender only, so long as it IS for a post that falls under the exemptions.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 16-Oct-09 09:50:18

I would imagine a lot of people wouldn't realise that though nannynick.
When there is a legal expmtion you are supposed to put a little disclaimer stating the act that it is exempt under but would everyone really know that.
I agree with what colditz said though especially taking into acount the sges of the boys there is probably an entirely reasonable reason as to why they are asking for a man. If one of the boys has extra needs as well a man may be preferrable to them from a modesty point of view.

BradfordMum Fri 16-Oct-09 12:16:26

Personally, I think it sounds strange that the Aunt is advertising.
Surely the mum can pull her finger out and find someoneto care for her boys.
I hate it when children are an inconvenience, or appear to be.

globex Fri 16-Oct-09 12:19:43

Wouldn't it be usual to put something like 'Men encouraged to apply' rather than 'We are looking for a male'?

nannynick Fri 16-Oct-09 15:55:07

The publisher of the advert has removed the last line of the ad, thus removing the gender requirement.
So now the publisher won't get in trouble. If the advertiser objects I expect the publisher will let them rephrase the ad... though its fine with that last bit removed, as anyone can now apply and the advertiser can shortlist based on whatever criteria they like. I would doubt that applicants would ask why they didn't get an interview, even if they did a reason other than gender could be given.

dreamteamgirl Fri 16-Oct-09 16:04:07

bradfordmum who says the sister is the mum? They may BOTH be aunts to the boys dont forget

Seems a shame to judge people ...

colditz Fri 16-Oct-09 16:08:10

bradford mum you have no idea why the sister is advertising instead of the mum. The mum may, for all you know, be terminally ill. Judgy, judgy, judgy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now