Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club:Questions for Gordon Brown......which ones

(25 Posts)
Katymac Thu 15-Oct-09 14:09:28

Ok I have 9 questions for GB - I am only allowed 1

So which do I keep & which do I dump

1)WRT Funded Early Years Education as provided by childminders; please could you tell me why it is that I have to subsidise funded education as the rate paid by local authorities does not reflect the rate I charge. Non-funded child pays £4 an hour in advance, funded child I receive £3.32 an hour in arrears.

2)When Children's Centres (with nurseries/daycare) open can more market research be done wrt the current childcare market. Although the local children's centre is excellent during the year they first opened the childcare market was so destabilised that nearly 1/3rd of childminders had to close, of course now 18 months later more childminders are needed and new ones are being recruited. An amount of support to the existing childminders during the transition could have saved lots of livelihoods and maintained continuity of care for the children.

3)When EYFS was introduced last year, why were the new regulations for childcare on domestic premises not finalised until mid-August. As an employer required to provide notice of redundancy to staff if we were not able to operate due to the new regulations, I had to needlessly threaten my employees with redundancy when in fact I was able to operate legally.

4)The grant funding to help childminders with EYFS implementation has been very patchy over the country - some childminders have received a grant, others have had the money spent on training they cannot access as they are at work, our grant has been given to the network to but resources that can only be used by accredited childminders (divisive or what) - why has this not been administered so all childminders can access it fully.

5) if parents don't want their 5-18 year old child to study under the national curriculum they can home educate or go to a private school. However it is virtually impossible for a parent to get exemption from EYFS for their under 5's - why is that?

6) Do you really think I as a childminder (who rarely if ever makes a profit) should be required to administer EYFS at the same level as a head of a children's centre, or a head teacher?

7)By introducing level 3 qualifications for childminders (some time in the next decade) you will preclude a vast number of childminders for whom education at this level is unlikely due to poor education or additional needs. This does not make them bad childcarers just discriminated against. In fact the EYFS discriminates against childminder for whom English is a second language or for whom reading (at the level at which the EYFS is written)is not a normal part of their daily lives.

Thanks

Fruitbatlings Thu 15-Oct-09 16:45:48

6 and 7 (how the hell will I find the time to do a level 3 NVQ?shock)

Where's the other 2 questions Katy lol

WailingGhoshe Thu 15-Oct-09 16:53:25

6 as well.

BradfordMum Thu 15-Oct-09 16:55:13

6 please!
With fried rice!

coral Thu 15-Oct-09 17:52:15

5 I think because there are clearly parallels which can be drawn with older children and it will not be so easy to skirt around the question - I would also add to the second sentance "... for their under 5's who choose private sector childcare" or something like that.

I also like 6 but would take out the bit about profit and add something like a sole practitioner or who has not had the benefit of a 4 year degree course or who does not have access to a full support staff or something similar but which does not put the question solely down to money.

Lets all take a question each and make the bugger answer all of them grin - seriously.

BTW - what is this grant for EYFS implementation - haven't even heard of it hmm

At the end of the day, he'll do what politicians always do - not answer the bloody questions.angry

Katymac Thu 15-Oct-09 18:04:04

Each Mnetter only gets one fr him

So I have to whittle it down - maybe 6 should be rephrased

Does anyone want any of the others?

Umm I miscounted blush

nannynick Thu 15-Oct-09 18:35:41

I like question 1 but question 6 is also very good plus is shorter - so you may get a response.

I've asked if LA's will get additional help with getting data onto Direct.Gov - just so he's made aware that there are some issues with that.

Wonder if he'll pull a sickie when he sees the questions..... grin

Katymac Thu 15-Oct-09 19:31:57

So Nick has asked his question

Does anyone want any of mine? As we only get one each we need to be sure not to duplicate

Can I ask him if he is after a Childminder? I have a space grin

stomp Thu 15-Oct-09 20:28:34

2 or 6

both mean the same- childminders are a disadvantaged group of proffesional childcarers

Katymac Thu 15-Oct-09 21:22:31

Actually I think my other question (one of the ones I forgot) is more important...maybe?

If a child is an 'Early Years Child' until 31st August following their 5th Birthday why do they go to school a full year earlier?

atworknotworking Fri 16-Oct-09 07:59:17

Think they are all good, 2 is important to me but is kinda in retrospect as it's already too late IYSWIM, would like to hear what he thinks of the cock-up like.

I think 6 as well it's current and relevant to all CM's Could we all pinch one and post one each?

Katymac Fri 16-Oct-09 08:15:00

I am all for everyone picking one & having a go - we just need to sort out who asks what and are there any questions I missed?

I think as childminders our questions will be low down on his list of priorities to answer

Katymac Fri 16-Oct-09 11:22:44

OK I am going for a variation on 6

Do you really think I as a stand-alone childminder, without any admin backup or support (who rarely if ever makes a profit) should be required to administer EYFS at the same level as a head of a children's centre, or a head teacher?

Anyone that wants to post any of the others is welcome to (In other words please, please pick one)

Katymac Fri 16-Oct-09 11:32:08

so i changed my mind & added in 5 as well blush

Did you get an answer Katy? not got time to trawl through almost 40 pages

Katymac Fri 16-Oct-09 20:41:58

Me neither - I will check when I next get insomnia wink

Katymac Fri 16-Oct-09 22:21:35

No - what a surprise

nannynick Sat 17-Oct-09 12:14:29

He didn't seem to answer any of the childcare related questions. He did comment on Childcare Vouchers but it left it hanging... didn't really answer the question.

The Times has published my comment, even though I questioned The Times in not covering the FIS story.

I do hope Gordon sends a representative back to Mumsnet to answer all the questions he didn't get time to answer... do wonder if he will though.

LoveMyGirls Sat 17-Oct-09 12:17:11

I asked for there to be less paperwork for childminders, he didn't reply. sad

LoveMyGirls Sat 17-Oct-09 12:20:22

So you don't have to search for it I put this...

By LoveMyGirls on Fri 16-Oct-09 13:46:37
I would like to point out as a childminder that there are only so many hours in the day and I currently work 11 of them not counting time spent on paperwork, deep cleaning or toy rotation.

Please cut the paperwork down for childminders, the parents don't want it and the worst thing you could possibly do for children is put more pressure and stress on their childminder who is already working long hours for little pay and has a busy enough day as it is.

I want children in my care to enjoy their day with me so we can have fun playing/ learning, not have me flashing a camara and bending my head to write notes!

As for writing statements, next steps and written risk assesments these are really cutting into my "time off" with my own small family which is very unfair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now