Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to you pay a live out au pair in London?

(5 Posts)
LovelyDear Thu 15-Oct-09 12:25:30

I realise this must be asked about 10 times a week, i just can't find any threads right now.

i currently pay £8 p/h to my carer who does afterschool pick up and care at my house for 6 hrs a week. She's great, i'm not looking to replace her. I also pay other people (and sometimes her) to babysit in the evenings. So i guess my monthly childcare costs are about 250-300.

However i wonder whether i would be better off employing an au pair, but they'd need to live out. What would I pay for that, in London?

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Thu 15-Oct-09 12:30:39

I dont think it is an au pair you are looking for, if you want somebody to live out.

Au pairs get between 50-80 pounds per week + bed and board (and often an Oyster card and a mobile phone) for upto 25 hours of light child care duties per week. A bit more if they are Au Pair Plus.

Au pairs are usually young people from a different country, who come to England on a cultural exchange to learn the language. They live within a family setting, and get bed, board and pocket money in exchange for help with childcare and light house work.

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Thu 15-Oct-09 12:32:19

I think a live out nanny in london get between 350 - 500 per week, NET. (employer pays tax) But I am sure a nanny or nanny employer will get here in a moment and advise you further.

LovelyDear Thu 15-Oct-09 12:39:33

ok - a bit more searching and i've found that i'm talking about a live-out mothers help. oh well, i'll stick to the arrangement we have. thanks. we don't have a big enough room to offer a live-in au pair, otherwise i'd quite enjoy it i think....

argento Thu 15-Oct-09 14:03:58

£8 an hour sounds right - don't think you'd get anyone for less in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now