Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Please come and tell me anything and everything about how to become a CM

(15 Posts)
ATortoiseisBetterThanABlackCat Wed 14-Oct-09 21:56:08

Single Mum of 4. On Benefits and would really like to find work of some sort!
I love looking after children but i have no idea how hard it is to become/be a CM.

Please talk me through the process from the start!

TIA smile

Numberfour Wed 14-Oct-09 21:57:50

call your local authority and they will point you in the right direction!!

good luck!

ATortoiseisBetterThanABlackCat Wed 14-Oct-09 22:14:04

Thanks Number4. Will look into that but would really like info before i delve any deeper into it. smile

FeelingOld Wed 14-Oct-09 23:06:08

They run briefing sessions where you find out what exactly is involved so that you can then decide if its what you want to do.

How old are your children by the way?

Oh and i am a single mum and i am a childminder.

Katymac Thu 15-Oct-09 08:31:47

The ages of your children are very relevant as you can only have 6 children under 8

squirrel42 Thu 15-Oct-09 08:39:41

If you live in England, Ofsted would be the regulatory body and they have a guide to the process of registration here: are/Registration/How-we-register. In Scotland it's the Care Commission and Wales it's Estyn, but I don't know too much about their processes!

ATortoiseisBetterThanABlackCat Thu 15-Oct-09 10:19:45

DC are 12,10,5 and 6.
Will look on the ofsted website smile.

Danthe4th Thu 15-Oct-09 11:08:41

Which area are you in someone may be able to offer more relevent help.

ATortoiseisBetterThanABlackCat Thu 15-Oct-09 13:00:47

I'm in

StrictlyAvadaKedavraarrrrghhhh Thu 15-Oct-09 21:45:30

suggest you join the childminders forum/help pages/website

pippin26 Fri 16-Oct-09 12:42:20

couldn't agree more with Strictly - EXCELLENT website and the forum is fantastic

ATortoiseisBetterThanABlackCat Fri 16-Oct-09 12:46:40

Thanks smile
Just not sure i am ready for that yet, just looking into it all first. Don't even know if i have space etc or what i would need if i went ahead with it at some point.
Also have a greyhound. Are dogs a problem with CMing?

LittleGems Fri 16-Oct-09 12:59:13

Hi, im also just starting out as a childminder and had all the same sorts of questions! as far as im aware dogs arent a problem aslong as they arent a danger to the children and are never left alone with children... but surely thats just common sense!?!? would love to talk more about childminding with anybody :-) x

stomp Fri 16-Oct-09 19:42:56

Phone your local authority and find out where the next briefing is being held. You will have lots of lovely forms to fill out, do a 6 week course, do first aid, have a crb done and wait to have a mini inspection by ofsted. Once all that is complete they send through your certificate and you can start work after getting insurance. The process can take between 8 weeks to 3 months (sometimes longer). Have i forgotten anything?

pippin26 Sat 17-Oct-09 00:13:37

Hi there again, is for ALL comers - whether you are just looking into minding, or if you are just setting up or if you are experienced. Everyone is welcome and the option is there ot browse the forum or join in the banter.

Lots of people on the forum to talk to about minding LittleGems!!! Its a very friendly and helpful site.

The whole process of registering can be up to 8months in total. You go to a pre-reg briefing via the the local council, do the ICP (introduction to childminding) course approx 6 weeks although I know some places tag in some basic EYFS training. During all this time you fill out forms, medical declaration and CRB;s (CRB's are the things that can take quite some time to come through). Ofsted (if you are in England) will come out for a pre-reg inspection to ensure you and your home are suitable. You also need to complete a 12hr paedatric first aid course.
During this time (again England) you need to get familiar with EYFS - Early Years Foundation Stage - the framework that all English minders have to work to if you have under 5's.

You need to have your polcies and procedures in place as well.

You then have 3 months to register with Inland Revenue as self employed.

You also have to register with Environmental Health

After this any further training such as Safeguarding, EYFS, CAF etc is up to you for your professional development.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: