Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminders and cleaners

(17 Posts)
madusa Wed 14-Oct-09 12:15:43

If you childmind from home, can you put the cost of a cleaner though your business books?

Danthe4th Wed 14-Oct-09 12:37:25

No its just the same as any self employed job. If you used the room solely for cminding and no one else ever sat in it, then you could possibly, but its the same for window cleaning etc no you can't claim.

GypsyMoth Wed 14-Oct-09 12:42:00

thought you were going to ask if cleaner needed a crb check!! do they??

WailingGhoshe Wed 14-Oct-09 13:34:29

I have always put my cleaner through my books.

Have done for the last 4 years.

looneytune Wed 14-Oct-09 13:37:30

I've always been led to believe we can actually???

StrictlyAvadaKedavraarrrrghhhh Wed 14-Oct-09 14:56:07

I thought we could put through the cost of a steam clean once a year but not an actual cleaner, as it's your home too so most things apart from say washing the toys regularly - would have to be done anyway.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 14-Oct-09 15:40:03

i would have thought cleaners need a crb if they clean in a cm house

anyone over 16 should i think by law

Booh Wed 14-Oct-09 16:08:01

My cleaner goes through the books

Cleaner comes when we are at toddlers!

atworknotworking Wed 14-Oct-09 16:12:00

I do window cleaner, cleaner, cpt cleaner, oven cleaner bloke gardener etc etc, its all maintenance of the property ergo a bis expense (or at least a portion can be)

childminder Thu 15-Oct-09 09:25:51

I claim for cleaner, gardener, car valet. My DH works away Mon - Fri so he can't do the last two, so I have to pay someone so it is safe for the children in the garden and that they don't get dirty from a muddy car!

My accountant says it is fine. If I was running an office and self employed, I'd pay a cleaner to do the office, car wash is a valid expense,( DH's company expect the car to be kept immaculate so pay for his to be valeted) and property maintenance is too, hence gardening is claimed.

dmo Thu 15-Oct-09 09:31:37

yes i put my cleaner fees through the books, Nurserys do

SCARYspicemonster Thu 15-Oct-09 09:32:45

I would think so as it's not like running any ordinary business - the cleaning has to be done for you to be able to run your business properly

HSMM Thu 15-Oct-09 09:50:02

How bizarre. I would have thought you could only claim if they only cleaned the play room and toys, or if you only used the garden and car for childminding hmm. Mind you, if the Inland Revenue think it's OK, then go for it. I certainly don't see why a percentage couldn't be claimed (like heat and light, etc).

Danthe4th Thu 15-Oct-09 11:15:13

This clearly states only reasonable costs may be claimed for cleaning if used solely for childminding, so unless you don't live or cook in your home you can not claim for everything. Childminders have very generous consessions at the moment and if these are abused we are likely to lose

thebody Thu 15-Oct-09 12:27:33

blimey, I just claim the usual wear and tear, heating and lighting advised by NCMA..
Think any more would be taking the piss.. would it??

Tanith Fri 16-Oct-09 21:16:33

When I attended a training session by the Inland Revenue, they made it clear that we can claim for a cleaner to clean all rooms used for childminding. The children use most of the rooms: they pee all over the floor when using the loo, they smudge all over the windows, they trail mud in from the garden.

If they weren't there, my house wouldn't need anything like the cleaning it currently does. That's what's meant by childminding activities.

geraldinetheluckygoat Fri 16-Oct-09 21:26:11

yes you can claim for cleaners. Definitely. Also had this advice from inland revenue.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: