Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Considering childminding have a few questions though

(12 Posts)
nutcracker Sat 11-Jun-05 17:05:04

I was actually a registered childminder about 5 years ago. Didn't do it for very long because I had pnd after the birth of dd2 so decided to give it up.

Anyway I am thinking of re registering but need convincing i think.

Main worries are that I won't earn enough to cover the drop in tax credits and also I may need to just do part time not full time, is that any good ??

nutcracker Sat 11-Jun-05 17:07:43

Also how long does it take to become registered from start to finnish ??

nutcracker Sat 11-Jun-05 17:08:11

Sorry, also are there any start up grants ??

kcemum Sat 11-Jun-05 17:10:55

I have been working as a registered childminder for the past 15months and to be honest all my mindees are parttime, at least you would be in a position to state what days/hours you want to work.

As for the drop in tax credits, can't help you there I'm afraid aithough mine went up as I'd given up a well paid job to become a c/m HTH

kcemum Sat 11-Jun-05 17:12:29

It takes about 3 months to go through the process (in my area any way) and also there ois a start up grant available I think it is £200 although this may vary from area to area.

nutcracker Sat 11-Jun-05 17:17:37

Ok thanks.

How do i get the ball rolling then ??

kcemum Sat 11-Jun-05 17:30:38

If you ring your local childrens information service they have an option about how to register and will give you the information.

nutcracker Sat 11-Jun-05 17:31:36

Ok thanks

beachbummum Sat 11-Jun-05 17:47:42

i have been registered since november last year. at the moment Ofsed are trying to register every one within 12 weeks of you sending in your application form. to be able to get this form you need to attend a pre-registration course. these are run by your local early years team. You can get their number from the Children's information Service. I recived a £200 start up grant. but ths can be up to £500 in some areas.
do you have any childcare qualifications as this can earn you more money.

KatyMac Sat 11-Jun-05 21:25:52

1) Tax credits in year 1 will be based on no income (or it was in my case) - for year 2 based on yr 1's income etc (BTW No profit + no drop in TC)
2) Part-time - of my 10 under fives 8 are part-time
3) about 6 months - realistically
4) about £300 unless in a surestart area when in somecases it might be doubled(well it was 2yrs ago)

Despite my disgrunted post last night , I love it and I'm not giving up - my actual take home turned out to be £240 a week - but we are very big

kelli22 Tue 14-Jun-05 08:10:50

I didn't think i would get anything from working famillies tax as i would be self employed - nice to know they pay you for the 1st year as if you're not earning anything! is this really true KatieMac?

kcemum Tue 14-Jun-05 09:23:30

With regards to the Tax credits my first year was paid according to an estimate of my earnings for that coming year so that during my second year I don't have to pay too much back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now