Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Child off school with long term illness - needs a few hours entertainment. Who do I ask?

(9 Posts)
katsh Mon 12-Oct-09 14:18:06

My dd2 (7) has Chronic fatigue syndrome ( previously known as M.E). She's been ill for 6 mths and only attends 3 hours of school each week in 3, 1 hour sessions. I am at home looking after her the rest of the time. I need to employ someone so that I can go out for a few hours each week, and rather than a "nursing carer" who will just be in the house with her, I would like someone who would come in and play with her. There will be days when she isn't able to do much, but I worry that she is getting bored at home, and yet with 2 other dcs I am not able to provide her with interesting things to do all the time.
What I'm not sure about is where I should advertise for someone like that. I know it's not a cm job, as I need them to come to me, and it's so few hours it won't be a Nanny. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 14:22:19

Do you live in a university town? Wondering if any students, possibly on PGCE or childcare courses, would be suitable?

katsh Mon 12-Oct-09 14:31:02

I'm in Surrey - not a university town. Good idea though - thanks. Maybe a FE college might have some people.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 14:34:51

Yes, I would have thought so. Some of the childcare students (or health ones esp if doing child related topics) may want to get some valid experience, plus some babysitting money.

doubleexpresso Mon 12-Oct-09 15:06:13

What about someone training to be a play therapist ? Often they are teachers who are diversifying.

NannyBeth Mon 12-Oct-09 18:11:49

I would also advertise on your local gumtree or similar - if I were close to you, I would do it!! You may find a local nanny or similar who works 3 or 4 days a week or au pair with school-age charges looking for a regular babysitting job who would be more than happy to fill this role. Do you know anyone with a nanny/au pair who you could ask? If you don't ask, you'll never know!

katsh Mon 12-Oct-09 20:52:10

Thanks all. I don't know many nanny / au pairs, but I could ask around. For those of you who are in this field, what should I expect to pay?

NannyBeth Tue 13-Oct-09 15:50:50

Pay depends on where you live, as well as whoever you finds qualifications and experience... I would charge around 6pounds/hr for babysitting here (just outside Leeds) and I have an nvq2 and 2yrs experience. I know London charges are more.

katsh Thu 15-Oct-09 09:00:31

Thanks Nanny beth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now