Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Whats important to ask a childminder about after school care? Also after school clubs.

(7 Posts)
dreamteamgirl Mon 12-Oct-09 14:08:43

Hi all
I was wondering if I could get some advice on using a CM for after school care.
I have never used a CM, DS was in FT nursery from 6months till last month when he started school and I had an AP start.

I have now given her notice due to her being rubbish and am looking for altenative after school care.

I have found there is a space in after school club, and also a space at a childminder, literally 2 or 3 minutes walk from the school

I am going to go and see the childminder this week, but I wondered it I could ask the CMs and CM users on here for some advice on what to ask, and what to expect. He will go from 3.15- 5.30 each day and she has quoted me £7.50. Most days I will be there by 5-5.15 but I want to reserve for later to make sure I am not stressing every day about getting there.

Do you tend to feed children after school? Is it food I provide or that you make? What are the really imprtant questions to ask?

Thanks all

atworknotworking Mon 12-Oct-09 15:25:57

If you look on the National Childminders Association website, they have a section for parents on what to look for in a good CM it has a good checklist that you could print off.

The main thing is to ensure that the CM is reg'd, insured and has crb checks etc.

You will prob realise pretty quick if the CM suits, you will get a good / bad feeling, see how the other mindees are if they are happy, playing well and how the CM interacts with them as well as your own DC.

Good luck

atworknotworking Mon 12-Oct-09 15:27:47

Oh should of mentioned check that the CM will be able to look after your DC during hols if needed, and check rates for full days, late payment, extra hours etc, notice period, holiday pay etc.

bigchris Mon 12-Oct-09 15:28:54

our aftersch club provides a snack
i think it is fab
ds loves playng with his peers , i think at a cm he would be bored with younger kids

ThePrisoner Mon 12-Oct-09 18:34:13

A good childminder will ensure that older children will NOT be bored with younger children. The older children I have (5 - 11 years) actually enjoy being around younger children, and they are all always pleased to see each other in the school playground in the afternoon.

I work darned hard to make sure that I meet the needs of all the children. If children want to play alone or just with other older ones, then I ensure that they have the space to do that.

The parents of the schoolchildren I mind don't want to use afterschool clubs because they want their children to be able to "chill out" a little after school. You need to think about how your son likes to spend his time - some afterschool clubs can be a bit regimented, others are more laid back.

dreamteamgirl - ask the CM what she does with children after school, and ask her how many/how old the other schoolchildren are that she has. As already said, you need to check about school holidays, inset days etc.

looneytune Mon 12-Oct-09 20:21:19

Agree with TP It really depends on your child and what works for everyone. Our after school club does a snack but no meal so you need to think about that (a lot of CMs do do meals). Also, I have one mindee who was attending after school twice a week when mum needed to do extra hours but mindee wasn't happy there (and she's a very confident child!!) and asked mum if she could come to me all week. You'd be amazed at how much the older ones like being with the little ones. My lot are just one big happy family

Just go to both, ask loads of questions and decide based on your gut feeling

dreamteamgirl Mon 12-Oct-09 22:37:51

Thanks so much every body.

I think DS would like being around the littler ones as he is desperate for a younger sibling

Lots of good ideas, and thanks for the link also
Hugely appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now