Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Assistant Advice

(8 Posts)
atworknotworking Mon 12-Oct-09 11:52:43

Could someone tell me what the process is for assistants please.

DH is reg'd assistant atm, but if I needed someone else do I just get CRB, references etc or do I have to inform Ofsted?

Is their anything else I need to consider


atworknotworking Tue 13-Oct-09 17:34:06

Hopefull bump

Katymac Tue 13-Oct-09 20:55:51

EY2 form - I think they must have First Aid/child protection & should have food hygiene

Written references

Must inform HMRC & register as an employee

Think about HASAW/Appraisal/employment law etc

xoxcherylxox Tue 13-Oct-09 23:35:33

i guess you are a childminder. i am a childminder and i have an assisstant i got her to register as self employed and phoned inland rev first and they said that is fine they didnt really care as long as they get there tax money one way or an other. i am in scotland so i had to inform care commission they did the disclosure check but it was upto me to get the 2 references and the docs letter i then had to forward them on to care commission.
i have to make sure that my assisstant take part in any train course avaliable just like i would myself. she did not have to have any specific training or qualifications to become my assisstant nor did she have to go on any training as soon as she became my assistant

Katymac Wed 14-Oct-09 09:49:10

I would be careful about having a S/E assistant - I think the rules in England might be different - the differences between S/e & employed are quite marked and HMRC don't like you to 'be' the wrong one

EG Nannies can only rarely be S/E as they have a regular place of work, cannot send in a substitute & don't decided their own hours

I'd take advise as there is some discussion over it

atworknotworking Wed 14-Oct-09 10:35:54

Thanks guy's would be employed, as s/emp is very dodgy if workers have set hours, required to be at a specific place etc.

Do I have to notify Ofsted or does my current reg still cover me, it just says when works with an assistant can care for etc,?

Just wondering as DH wants to do some other stuff so I may need to find someone else for the odd day here and their, or is it more agro than its worth.

Katymac Wed 14-Oct-09 10:49:35

there is a fact sheet here but it's being updated so not much good

xoxcherylxox Wed 14-Oct-09 11:17:20

i think they were ok with it as my assisstant only does 16 hours on minimum wage so doesnt make enough money to pay tax anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now