Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nannies who use their own car for work....................

(24 Posts)
theoriginalmummypoppins Mon 12-Oct-09 09:33:03

How much do you get paid per mile ?

mo3g Mon 12-Oct-09 09:56:22

I get 40p a mile.

Simplyme Mon 12-Oct-09 10:05:03

The standard rate is 40p per mile as recommended by the government any more than that is subject to tax

nannynick Mon 12-Oct-09 10:26:22

40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles. If you exceed 10,000 miles in a year then the amount changes. See HMRC: Rates and Allowances

Keep a mileage record... I use a form like this. I then submit a mileage claim to my boss about every 4 weeks.

theoriginalmummypoppins Mon 12-Oct-09 11:53:31

thanks. I thought it was 40p per mile

theoriginalmummypoppins Mon 12-Oct-09 11:57:35

thanks. I thought it was 40p per mile

theoriginalmummypoppins Mon 12-Oct-09 11:58:14

OFGS. I am having a bad day. Im posting everything twice !!!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Oct-09 13:35:57

pmsl MP

yes the average seems 40p - i can understand that this can add up

varies each day but i do generally at least 30miles a day with just school/nursery, 50 a day if pick up mb from station and then prob another 20 on tuesday as do 2 lots of tumbletots inbetween school drop offs

so at least 150+ for 3 days (that doesnt include play dates/me picking up from friends houses etc)

but i get a car

i thought you gave a car for work use?

theoriginalmummypoppins Mon 12-Oct-09 14:13:12

yes we do. But Ive got a temp covering at the moment as my nanies father has died and Ive given her a month off. Temp nanny will only drive an auto car even though at the interview she said she would drive our manual. She will be doing about 450 miles a week on the school runs and the mileage claim is going to hurt!!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Oct-09 18:35:25

OUCH thats £180 a week

tbh if she said she would drive your manual and now wont, she is breaking the terms of your agreement

might be cheaper to hire a car for her for a month see here

Simplyme Mon 12-Oct-09 18:49:56

Well if she said she would drive a manual but now has changed her mind then I think that for the 1 month you would be entitled to say drive our car as agreed or drive your car but we will only cover petrol costs not 40p per mile.

FABIsInTraining Mon 12-Oct-09 19:21:49

Wouldn't you be paying your normal nanny that anyway?

FantasticMissFox Mon 12-Oct-09 19:30:54

Wow you guys get 40p per mile? I only get 25p!! But my car is small so I do around 90/100 miles a week which is nearly enough for a full tank of petrol in my car (I only use about half a tank for work a week so I am actually making money!!)

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Oct-09 19:40:11

fab - normal nanny gets a car to use in working hours that MP fills up with petrol

can she drive a manual or only passed an auto?

MatNanPlus Mon 12-Oct-09 20:37:34

Fantastic your being under compensated, how did you employers come up with 25p, the 40p is to cover fuel and go towards service, MOT, road tax.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Oct-09 20:41:55

yep wear and tear!!!

tyres, brakes etc

MatNanPlus Mon 12-Oct-09 20:43:10

Blondes

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 12-Oct-09 21:14:33

im not blonde for nothing grin

MrAnchovy Tue 13-Oct-09 01:44:59

The often-quoted figure of 40p for the first 10,000 miles is the maximum amount HMRC will let you pay without it being considered a taxable benefit.

Neither 40p nor any other figure is recommended by any department of government. Many employers (large and small) pay less, and if you are doing 450 miles a week then most employers would provide a car and insist you use it both for cost and other reasons (reliability, health and safety).

So it is up to employers to agree a fair sum depending on all the relevant circumstances. In this case (where the employer is providing a car that the employee refuses to use) I think that paying no more than for fuel used would be fair - oh I see SimplyMe said that: well I agree smile.

theoriginalmummypoppins Tue 13-Oct-09 10:15:29

Thanks guys. Yes simplyme and Mr A I think DH has offered her 25p a mile.

But then last night she went out with DH in our car to practise. She is very nervous about changing gear and got stuck at a junction and DH had to hop out and move the car !!!!

She passed her test in a manual but hasn't driven one since.

Very wierd. Found myself driving this am really thinking about changing gear LOL.

We provide a car because we need about 500 miles a week driven for the children and I like to know that car is properly maintained etc. We provide a fule card too so its easy to keep filled up etc!!

theoriginalmummypoppins Tue 13-Oct-09 10:17:14

Thanks guys. Yes simplyme and Mr A I think DH has offered her 25p a mile.

But then last night she went out with DH in our car to practise. She is very nervous about changing gear and got stuck at a junction and DH had to hop out and move the car !!!!

She passed her test in a manual but hasn't driven one since.

Very wierd. Found myself driving this am really thinking about changing gear LOL.

We provide a car because we need about 500 miles a week driven for the children and I like to know that car is properly maintained etc. We provide a fule card too so its easy to keep filled up etc!!

theoriginalmummypoppins Tue 13-Oct-09 10:17:49

Done it again..........Im going mad!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 13-Oct-09 11:28:29

thats still over £100 a week in petrol (£112.50 to be precise)

i still think if you offer a car, amd made it clear at the interview that the nanny needs to drive that car then she took the job on falsley

I think you would be quite in your rights to fill up the car on monday for her and then fill up tank after she has done the work miles

and not do pence per mile

Simplyme Tue 13-Oct-09 18:23:05

Then TBH I think you either need to get a different temp nanny or stump up cost for her to drive her car. I know I wouldn't want her to drive my children in the manual car if she is that nervous about it. Your school runs are at the busy times of day with commuters on the roads as well as parents etc and even just things like you don't want her to stall the car whilst going down the sliproad to join the busy motorway!!

That's a scary thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now