Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM club - WWYD?

(10 Posts)
Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 08:39:14

I've got two sets of parents really interested in a place.
I like them both and like both the babies. One is a girl and one is a boy.

I'm having an inspection this week to talk about a variation request to be able to have one of these babies. I said I'd email both sets of parents once I've had my visit.

The baby girl is only 3 days a week but the baby boy is 4 days which would be, financially, much better.

The only thing is, I haven't had a little girl to look after for ages and have two boys of my own plus another boy mindee (love them all dearly btw! I'm not against boys at all)
I know this is a really silly reason and could really do with the money so I should go for the little boy. But, awwww, a lickle girly! Plus if I go for her, it'd give me one fairly quiet day per week.

The reason I've got them both keen is, the little girl's parents were being quite slow with giving me a response (due to work being slow re the mother going back) and in the meantime met up with the little boy's parents. I then heard from the little girl's parents who said they were keen for the place but would wait until my Ofsted outcome.

What do I do? What would you do?

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 09:37:12

Yes it is a difficult one isn't it.......

looneytune Sun 11-Oct-09 09:55:57

I personally would go with the boy but that's because I have to maximise my income unfortunately (I wouldn't do if I'd told someone else they could have the space then just got a better offer though). I would also be put slightly off the girl because of the parents being slow but it would depend on whether they were actually messing you about or not?

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 10:03:09

I don't think they were messing me about. I think her work were messing her about with days. I haven't told anyone the space is theirs and no deposits/retainers have been paid yet.

Our mortgage has just come right down so aren't desperate for the money but it's always nice to have spare cash and it also means I could afford do more with them.
However, the mortgage could go up again soon if interest rates go up quickly so perhaps you are right, go for the boy......
I just feel bad for the girl's parents and I really clicked with them but then I did with the boy's parents too hmm Dammit, why can't one set be awful?

Anyway, it might be out of my hands, either set could change their minds by next week anyway.....ho hum.....

CarGirl Sun 11-Oct-09 10:07:18

are you more like to get a variation request for 3 days rather than 4? That could be your deciding factor tbh. Also would one quiet day give you the opporunity to do different stuff, get on top of paperwork etc?

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 10:30:28

I can't see it making a difference on the number of days tbh. It's to have two under ones - my baby and the new one. It'll only be for about two months anyway as my little one turns one in March and place is from January. Plus my eldest goes to full-time school in November this year, so I'll effectively lose him.

Katymac Sun 11-Oct-09 12:20:44

What do you have on each day & what are the ages?

When do the new ones start - which days do they want?

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 12:43:52

Mon - DS2 7 months
DS1 4yrs (full-time school Nov)
M 19 months
L 2.5yrs (leaving Jan)

Tues - same

Weds - DS2
DS1
M

Thurs - DS2
DS1
A (3yrs)
M

Friday - DS2
DS1
M
K (leaving Dec)

From Jan, A is moving to Fridays, L is leaving and K will have gone which leaves me with a vacancy Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs.
Baby girl wants Mon-Weds.
Baby boy wants Mon-Thurs.

Baby boy is two weeks older than DS2 so I'll only have two under ones for about 6 weeks.

Either way, DS2 will be one in March anyway which is why I can't see my variation request being a problem (hopeful!)

Just not sure whether to take boy or girl....

Katymac Sun 11-Oct-09 12:57:26

Could you manage 4 for 3 days?

The girl would have to start after your DS was 1

No matter which decision you make it will be wrong - either family could up & leave weeks after they start

Not being negative just, well that is the way it is

What a shame - this is the bit I hate about being a childminder

Are they all full days?

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 13:20:04

yup, all full days. I know, it's so unpredictable isn't it! Yes I could definitely manage.
The girl could start at the beginning of Feb (when she wants to start) as I'll, hopefully get a variation for two under ones.

I'd quite like a quieter day one day per week - and M usually has one day a week at home (but I still get paid for 5 days grin) but the money from the baby boy would be nice. Means we can treat ourselves or I can take/treat the mindees to more things...

Decisions, decisions........

Ah well, I'm sure all will become clear by Weds eve smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now