Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - developing systems for obtaining children's developmental starting points from parents

(9 Posts)
coral Fri 09-Oct-09 18:03:07

I've been having a look at some recent ofsted reports and an action which comes up freqently is to

"continue to develop systems for obtaining children's developmental starting points from parents"

A friend of mine also got this action even though she gets parents to fill in a questionnaire style form when they start covering everything from food likes and dislikes, potty training, sleep routines activities the child likes to do etc and sits down and has long conversations with the parents when they are settling in. She was somewhat miffed and when she asked the Ofsted inspector precisley what she meant she should do over and above what she does already just got a wishy washy answer about developing a system.

So, what else are we meant to do? What is wrong with talking to and listening to parents? What does everybody else do?

Danthe4th Fri 09-Oct-09 23:06:49

I do what your friend does but also link it to my planning with the development statements. I use the eyfs overview sheets and highlight the starting point, which is usually referred to as the baseline assessment.
Then with the observations you continue linking to the eyfs and the 6 areas, with the next steps which again link into planning. Just read that back and it just about makes sense.lol

The only thing I can think of is to say that the system you have in place is a working document as you continually evaluate the process you use!!! bit ott but may be what they want to hear.

atworknotworking Sat 10-Oct-09 16:37:30

I have a box under the next steps section in my obs sheets where parents can comment or add suggestions as to what / how they feel their children are developing in areas, havn't had an inspection since eyfs so don't know if this would help, but it will prove that you are continuing to share info re development.

nbee84 Sat 10-Oct-09 18:30:35

Just read this and it's things like this that make you realise that Ofsted have gone so far OTT with their requirements for childminders. It seems like you need a degree to be able to understand all their bumf and to be highly intelligent to be able to implement it all. What chance does the average Mum, who loves children and would like to childmind and sees it as an ideal job, have when faced with all of this.

I was a childminder until 2005 and provided a loving (and stimulating) environment for my mindees, but even back then I was useless at keeping on top of the paperwork - so heaven knows what I'd be like now. Ofsted and paperwork was one of the reaasonsI gave it up and went back to being a nanny.

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 09:10:14

I still can't make head nor tail of it and I have an Ofsted inspector coming on Weds hmm She's not actually coming to inspect me, just talk about a variation request but all I'm doing is the children's daily diaries and taking photos for their folders with a little caption underneath. I really don't mind getting another "satisfactory" due to missing paperwork, I rarely have trouble filling my vacancies. I know, and the parents know, I provide an excellent service smile

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 09:11:19

I don't mean that's all I'm doing full stop, I mean that's all I'm doing for the EYFS. Of course I have all my hundreds of policies and signatures!

Tombliboobs Sun 11-Oct-09 09:33:01

How about a section in your daily diary which has section for the parents to fill in with any current interests, developmental milestones, family events etc. That way it is a two way system and you are seen to be gathering information from the parents?

(disclaimer, I am EY teacher not CM, feel free to ignore if useless!)

Fruitbatlings Sun 11-Oct-09 09:36:41

Good idea!

coral Mon 12-Oct-09 13:33:28

Thanks everyone for your comments - I have a 2-way diary systme already which my parents are thankfully happy at the moment to note the odd comment in! It just makes me cross that you can't just seem to be able to have a good old fashioned conversation with anyone anymore and, heaven forbid, actually accurately remember what was said rather than have it in triplicate in writing in 3 different places to make sure it hasn't been overlooked and fingerprinted to ensure its authenticity!!!

I'm sure it's only childminders who are having to jump through these wishy washy beauraucratic hurdles - a good example being the liaison with dufferent care providers which chidminders always seem to get pulled up on even if they have been desperately trying to get the nursery/reception teacher on their side - I have yet to see a reception class/nursery being pulled up for not liasing appropriately with a childminder!

(Coral steps off her soap box and goes to check on the beautifully sleeping chidlren making sure she takes a photograph of herself checking on the children with a daily newspaper and digital clock in view and signs 3 forms to ensure Ofsted have sufficient written and photographic evidence that this is being done correctly!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now