Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you buy you Nanny / CM a christmas / birthday present?

(21 Posts)
hanaflower Fri 09-Oct-09 11:41:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justaboutautumn Fri 09-Oct-09 11:47:23

Message withdrawn

TwoCupcakes Fri 09-Oct-09 12:46:07

i would buy a prezzie that she can really enjoy - something to do with her hobbies e.g. books if she likes reading. i sort of lsten out through the year as she mentions what she likes - i once bought a nanny a pair of high heels when she mentioned which one she liked. my current nanny has only just started last mth so not planning an xmas bonus but may buy her tickets to a london musical. also, i get little prezzies from my kids (chocs, shortbread) and get them to make colourful xmas cards fr her.

fridayschild Fri 09-Oct-09 14:02:11

We give her something small to open, in theory chosen by DCs but not always, and a cheque. At Christmas last year they chose a truly foul pink sparkly pencil with a horse's head (pink) on top. Nanny's birthday is this weekend and it has rather snuck up on me so she got a small scented candle from my emergency stock of presents. We do this for both birthday and Christmas.

dinkystinkystein Fri 09-Oct-09 14:06:04

yes - flowers on anniversary that she came to work for us (from the boys), present on her birthday (normally a voucher - around £50) and presents at christmas (spent around £30 on her first christmas, last year around £60) plus a bonus day's holiday. She's been with us for 3 years.

ZandMsmum Fri 09-Oct-09 14:08:30

I always do good presents but not a bonus, don't know if that's wrong...usually a handbag or jewellery.

LittleOneMum Fri 09-Oct-09 14:43:59

I do good presents for my nanny too. She's fabulous, she looks after my PFB, and I can't think of anyone more important to treat, frankly.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 09-Oct-09 16:37:09

i have always had a lovely pressie on my birthday and then at christmas a small pressie from mb/db and a cash bonus

and a pressie made(normally)by the children - last few years have had a lovely photoframe,bear pottery and a father christmas pottery

all of the above are on my bookshelf

elliepac Fri 09-Oct-09 16:39:49

always get CM a pressie 'from the dc's' and give her a bonus from us. Have been using the same CM for nearly 5 years, she has had DS since 1 and now has DD as well.

Also buy birthday pressie and the occasional bunch of flowers.

Mummyinthedark Fri 09-Oct-09 17:31:53

Of course you get a present for your nanny, she's quasi-family and hugely important.
At birthday we give luxury treats - handbags, vouchers for spa day and the like - Christmas she gets token present and cash bonus (one week's pay)

EverySingleStar Fri 09-Oct-09 17:32:53

I've never gotten a bonus but have always gotten nice presents.

Friend, on the other hand gets a £1000 cash bonus, theatre tickets, bottle of bubbly, AND a present shock

So it varies widely! (Both of us have always worked in Central London by the way).

drinkyourmilk Fri 09-Oct-09 21:36:54

I'm a nanny. From my current employers i recieve a cash bonus (but never had one previously- in 14 yrs- and don't expect one), and a thoughtful gift (they know i love candles/books/theatre - so generally one of these) from the kids. I always get the kids individual pressies and my employers a joint item (or a 'voucher' for a weekends cover if i'm broke - which is probably more appreciated as it would be about £300 for me to work a full weekend sole charge).

I think it's a lovely gesture to get your childcare provider a little something - but don't feel you have to go overboard - and bare in mind that the gifts that i have appreciated the most have been actually made by my chrages ( I have a framed poem, cards, pictures and various pieces of crockery). These little people were (and are) so important in my life, and i'll keep these things forever.

hanaflower Fri 09-Oct-09 21:37:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pippel Sat 10-Oct-09 08:02:51

I buy my cm and both of her dcs a present for Christmas. I give her dcs birthday presents and my cm and her dh get a card for their birthday.

thereistheball Sat 10-Oct-09 08:07:51

Last year, after 3 months of looking after DD full time, I gave my CM a bonus (£100) and small present (smellies from Lush) and also got her son a voucher from JD Sports, as he always needs football gear which she finds it difficult to afford, and he is really lovely with DD.

juneybean Sat 10-Oct-09 12:01:12

It's my first christmas with a family, so no idea on the xmas present front but they bought me a gorgeous bunch of flowers for my birthday and had blown balloons up for my arrival lol

SCARYspicemonster Sat 10-Oct-09 12:13:00

I got her wine and chocolates last xmas and a big box of biscuits. Can't remember what I got her for her birthday. Probably spent around £20-30 each time

I'll probably give her a £50 gift voucher this year - got no idea what she'd like but she's been looking after my DS for over a year now and he's really happy

She gets my DS an xmas and birthday pressie too.

Heated Sat 10-Oct-09 13:04:49

I give my CM wine and a tin of posh biscuits for the family (has 4 dcs so can't afford to do individial presents for them) but will be stealing ideas from here as she doesn't like chocolate or sweet things to eat. I also give nursery bisuits too.

susiey Sat 10-Oct-09 15:53:53

I always buy my cm a pressie at christmas she is family!
my cm has only 1 dd so I bought her a cute bag from paperchase and her dd a pressie

for my previous childminder I got her some next vouchers as I know she wore a lot of next clothes

gizzy1973 Sun 11-Oct-09 19:04:04

my current family didnt get my a christmas or birthday present - not even a card
all my previous jobs have and it makes me feel like i am not worth bothering with

MilkNoPoisonPlease Sun 11-Oct-09 19:09:25

i got a £20 voucher, some homemade gifts from the kids and a framed school pic of the kids for xmas

for my birthday, they made me a cake, put banners up in the house, kids made me presents and a bottle of champagne from parents. paid for a taxi home and some cash for some drinks at the weekend

completly didnt expect anything either time.

was so lovely of them...spent the rest of my birthday like and xmas to!

get small gifts from parents i babysit for-bracelet or voucher.

never expected it thoug

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now