Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

baby sitting services in hotels - any good ?

(16 Posts)
sheenaisapunkrocker Thu 08-Oct-09 17:37:28

I have been invited to a party in December away from home. I was wondering about staying in a hotel and using a baby sitting service while I am at the party. My baby will be 4 months old. Is this an ok thing to do? Has anyone got any experience of doing this and how do you go about finding such a hotel or service. Thanks for any advice.

fridayschild Thu 08-Oct-09 18:16:58

We have done this a couple of times. We checked with the hotel first and then got a person through Sitters, the agency. They only employ childminders I think so all the CRB checks are done. One time we were in a hotel near my mum's house, and mum found us the babysitter then. We settled baby and then the babysitter came in once he was asleep.

It seemed a bit odd to me, sitting in a room in the dark or with the TV on silent but they were happy with it. DS woke up with one of the ladies but was perfectly happy if slightly bemused to be played with and allowed to watch TV in the middle of the night.

I was happier when we were in the hotel with the child, IYSWIM. Once we were at a remote country wedding, and about 15 minutes drive from our boy who had been left with a stranger! He slept through the whole experience, needless to say.

NannyBeth Thu 08-Oct-09 19:17:49

I have been a hotel babysitter :D in Sydney, mind you, but still.

A lot of hotels offer this service, call and ask! Most of the time, I used to watch tv on v quietly, take my laptop (for hotels with free wifi) and/or a book (or uni work ) with me for things to do whilst the little one(s) were sleeping.

Whether you do it through an agency or the hotel itself, I would advise asking for a sitter with experience with young babies, Sheena. Just for your own peace of mind!

Incidentally, where will the party be and on which weekend? I may consider it!!

I have been booked many a time to babysit in a hotel and this has been done sometimes through a nanny agency or privately where parents have contacted me thorough gumtree or netmums. I have babysat for twins once aged 3wks in a country house/hotel whilst parents attended wedding from 3pm-3am. As a qualified childrens nurse I charge £12 an hr, not sure where you will be staying I am in east midlands.

may be worth seeing if someone on here could help you,

as you have a young baby would choose someone who has experience of young babies, also would want someone who is qualified and has experience of babysitting children as a one-off who they may never have met before.

book the babysitter an hr before you need to go out as you can see them with the baby and if need be gives you some time to get ready without interuptions.

frakkinpannikin Thu 08-Oct-09 19:43:30

I've also done hotel babysitting. Used to take uni work and laptop with me.

Sitters don't only employ CMs but all CRBs are done etc. You may, as eastmidlands says, find someone on here!

AtheneNoctua Thu 08-Oct-09 20:12:19

I would try sitters.co.uk. I find often when a hotel advertises a service I find when I get there that it isn't available any more. Sitters is reliable.

I'd suggest you check the childcare.gov.uk website for a childminder in the are, but some twit has removed the website before direct gov one is ready to replace it.

kkey21 Thu 08-Oct-09 21:35:24

I have done this and one time i had parents with an 8 week old who were very nervous, but as i had my own 7 week old baby at home with his Daddy, they said that gave them complete peace of mind and they had a great evening, saying they didn't worry once!

There could be someone on here to help you?

x

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 09-Oct-09 08:21:14

i do this a lot, either for weddings, birthdays or just people like you who want a night out in a different town

"I have been booked many a time to babysit in a hotel and this has been done sometimes through a nanny agency or privately where parents have contacted me thorough gumtree or netmums"

ditto

also we have some huge chains of hotels near me, and one of my agencies went to them all, and handed out their details to the hotel, who can then hand the agency name to the cilents saying that all people used are crb checked and with first aid and have been throughly vetted by agency

where are you staying?

maybe one of us can help?

sheenaisapunkrocker Fri 09-Oct-09 19:21:53

Hi everyone, many thanks for your advice. It's reassuring to know that people do this and it works for them.

The party is in Nottingham on the 12th Dec. My mum might have my baby overnight, but this is not certain. I will certainly look into having a sitter.

Thanks again for your wise words. It's a steep learning curve being a new mum wink

Hello Sheena I would be able to do that date for you as its in nottingham do you want to send me an email and I can send you my cv etc and discuss any further questions you may have.

lindseyfoxuk@yahoo.co.uk

sheenaisapunkrocker Sat 10-Oct-09 13:32:33

Hi eastmidlands...

many thanks for your offer. I need to discuss with dh as he is cautious about finding someone online. I'll get back to you...

ok, most people I babysit/nanny for find me online, I would email you my cv and also could email you my nursing registration number which you can check online with the NMC to ensure I am not dodgy!! Also can provide you with as many telephone numbers as needed for references.

I can understand your husbands anxiety as there are alot of dodgy people out there unfortunately but think those of us on here are generally ok!!

I would bring a copy of my crb and certs of the night as well for your reassurance.

I would also be willing to look after upto 4/5 children from 3 different families (slighly higher rate of £16 and hr for 2 families and £20 an hr for 3 families) but cost can then be split between families).

Welcome to email me anytime and I can give you my contact number as well via email.

forgot to say I am registered with a couple of local agencies as well so if you would rather book me through them that is fine also rates are the same but would be agency fee ontop of that.

dibdab78 Sun 11-Oct-09 09:27:30

Hi Sheena

I live 5 miles away from Nottingham and would be available on 12th Dec.

I am a qualified teacher so have CRB check and you could phone my school for verification of who I am etc.

I have been babysitting/nannying on a p.time basis for over 15 years and have experience with all age groups from babies to teens. I have extensive baby experience as have worked as a night nanny - looking after young babies through the night.

I have done several hotel babysitting jobs recently and can provide details of previous families I have worked for as references. I am also registered with several agencies in the area.

If you'd like any more info please get in touch.

Liz

liz_nottm@hotmail.com

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 11-Oct-09 10:06:34

sheena - i understand your dh views on having someone from online

but

that is how many of us find our work

the family can always call/meet us first, we will always email over copys of cv, ref, crb etc so that the family can check us out

i can vertify that east midlands is a superb nanny/nurse smile

Thanks blondes!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now