Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What has happened to the Childcarelink.gov.uk site?

(106 Posts)
WailingGhoshe Wed 07-Oct-09 19:50:25

I go into it and nothing comes up for our area, it does say they are changing the site (now called FIS?) Did anyone get told this was happening?

Katymac Wed 07-Oct-09 20:06:38

Nick knows all about it - he has been referring to it for months

Berryred Wed 07-Oct-09 20:09:59

yep, had to reg my details with it, it all changed on 1st Oct

Katymac Wed 07-Oct-09 20:14:14

Well I havent been asked for my permission but it is all there on direct.gov hmm

What is FIS?

WailingGhoshe Wed 07-Oct-09 20:23:01

Sorry Nick, obviously didnt see his bits about it.

Katy I havnt been asked to register either.

FIS Family Infomation Service.

nannynick Wed 07-Oct-09 20:52:24

It's basically a new database that is supposed to be better as it links together all the information from all the FIS around the country, Ofsted's database and other sources of information. But it clearly isn't better yet - as it has dropped my listing! I've filled in the Contact Us form on the site, to remind them that they are supposed to be providing details of all childcare provision, not just some.

The mileage search isn't working that well (I got it to show 0 miles for everything at one point) but is a lot better than ChildcareLink as it will list childcare providers who are in a different county. So if I search based on 10 miles from my home, I get listings from 3 counties.

A bit more about Parent Know How Directory

Katymac Wed 07-Oct-09 21:02:42

Yep but the info on each childminder is a bit crap

nannynick Wed 07-Oct-09 21:34:16

Yes, all looks a bit poor at the moment. Seems as though in some areas they have only pulled a little info off Ofsted's servers... the local authority data hasn't been uploaded. I hope they get it sorted... Surrey data is particularly bad - childminders are not even marked as being a childminder, Windor and Maidenhead has some data (such as providers e-mail addresses) and have the right childcare provider type.

Expect it may be some time before the system is working correctly. Would be nice if a system which hasn't been tested thoroughly was not released to the public. Guess the deadline came and went, so they didn't have a choice.

Danthe4th Wed 07-Oct-09 23:27:42

Its rubbish, I searched using my postcode and nothing came up, but when I put a town in 5 miles away I came up and apparently I have no vacancies!!!

1dilemma Wed 07-Oct-09 23:35:12

oh I looked at this last night and it reported itself as not working

didn't even bother telling me it was now FIS typical

southernbelle77 Thu 08-Oct-09 06:25:16

Apparently there are no childminders in my area! That's the whole town, not just the postcode! Umm, think it needs rather a lot of fixing.

If I call the cis number that comes on everything I get sent, will they be able to help?

atworknotworking Thu 08-Oct-09 07:01:23

Well just had a look at me, their are 420 childcare providers in my postcode area shock now thats what I call competition, it's not fair competition though because I have no contact details, wrong phone number, no email / website / no fee info but thats ok as I dont actually have any opentimes and I have no vacancies anyway hmm

Needs just a little tweeking I think.

childmindermk Thu 08-Oct-09 07:21:52

I looked at myself on there yesterday and aswell as a distinct lack of info the little info they do have on there is wrong...ie it says 'no vacancies' but i actually have 2 vacancies at mo!
so i emailed them yesterday to ask them to amend my listing...but have heard nothing from them, i will give them til friday then try ringing them to find out whats going on!

nannynick Thu 08-Oct-09 07:30:22

It it isn't working by Friday, shall we moan to BBC WatchDog? Do you think they would get DCSF on to say what has gone wrong, how much this has cost UK taxpayers both at local level and national level?

WailingGhoshe Thu 08-Oct-09 08:22:04

If I put my postcode in, the nearest to me is 9miles away (in fact it is more like 17, so they even have that wrong)it dosn't come up with anything closer!!!!

Where do we complain to.

I dont actually have any vacancies, but what about the girls who are desperate for work?

How long is this going on for.

Will they get compensation for lack of work due to this.

We are always told that the way parents are advised to find a Registered CM, is to look on the Goverment site, well how the hell are they suppose to find a CM in our area at the moment!

navyeyelasH Thu 08-Oct-09 09:55:07

Hmm this is poor - who are you all emailing to get added?

Nick - there isn't even a kay for nannies!!

AtheneNoctua Thu 08-Oct-09 13:25:34

That site is complete rubbish... as are most things organised by the government. The old site was very useful.

The search facility is terrible. It doesn't say who does school runs at which school(s). It doesn't give prices.

What was wrong with the old site?

AtheneNoctua Thu 08-Oct-09 13:27:29

In fact, this website could really damage people's businesses. They should put childcarelink back up until this one is up to snuff.

SillyMillysMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 13:29:09

i have just done a search for cm in my postcodal area, around a dozen 1 mile from my postcode, however i am not 1 of them angry just spoken to local FIS and they have said that the contractors are working on it but they didnt have a timescale as to when the problems would be fixed shock I mean ffs if a parent is looking for a cm on that site, they will ONLY get my competitors

that just isnt on angry angry

SillyMillysMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 13:29:36

Athena - agreed

SillyMillysMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 13:31:05

oh, as a bit of info, i have been told that local FIS's were responsible for getting info into the childcarelink website, and now its a national responsibility, hence the change

HSMM Thu 08-Oct-09 13:36:13

I'm not on it either!

SillyMillysMummy Thu 08-Oct-09 14:00:47

try searching your name, I am on by name but my address details arent, so nobody would know if I was local or not, oh and obviously i dont come up in a postcode search

WailingGhoshe Thu 08-Oct-09 14:20:58

search by my name and I come up, as a school pick up???? click my name and nothing comes up!!

navyeyelasH Thu 08-Oct-09 14:47:05

I just called the number on direct gove site and was told, "we have no clue what is going on and have no idea how long it will take to fix".

Brilliant!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: