Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

poorly child...anyone around to give quick advice?

(13 Posts)
woowoomommy Wed 07-Oct-09 10:46:09

Mindee has been dropped off with me this morning, parent told me that she'd had a bad night and that shed got a cold, handed her over and scarpered all within about 30 secs. She seemed okay at first but has just been screaming for the last 30 minutes and getting quite hot. Shes sleeping now but am i within rights to ring parents and say come and get her...ive got other children to look after later, ive already cancelled my morning outing with my own son because she is poorly. Ive always said I dont mind coughs and sniffles but shes really been upset.
Also, am I within rights to give her calpol if dont have specific permission, i have of course got the emergency medical treatment signature: does this count as this?

pinkdelight Wed 07-Oct-09 10:49:35

Sorry, not a CM so can't help with permissions, but as a parent I would want calling in this situation. It's my understanding that snuffles are one thing, but as soon as mindees get a temperature, they are 'properly' poorly and should go home. I would also expect my CM to give Calpol, but then we have already discussed it. If you haven't, you may be better waiting till you've called them. Hope you manage to sort it.

mishjb68 Wed 07-Oct-09 11:04:37

It's quite possible she may have an ear infection, especially if she's bunged up.
Maybe you could ring mum let her know things are not too good and ask for calpol permission if she needs it when she wakes up. Then say if after that you give it half an hour and if she is still distressed you will ring her back and she will need to come and collect her. This way mum will have a little time to think of possibilities eg nan, sis , or dad collecting if she thinks its hard to come home quick.
Quick tip: If child is screaming and you think it might be ear infec (pulling ear or banging it) a few drops of warm olive oil ( or any cooking oil) is fantastic, untill you manage to get to docs. A doctor told me this and it has always been a god send..... let parent do it tho ! good luck

woowoomommy Wed 07-Oct-09 11:20:57

thank you, shes woken up now and isnt screaming but is a little warm...I cant actually get hold of parents but have left messages...should i just give her calpol? im sure they would want me to but its not written down

addictedtosuckingblood Wed 07-Oct-09 11:26:30

you cant giver her any medication with out specific permission

addictedtosuckingblood Wed 07-Oct-09 11:28:06

if you can get hold of them yu can get verbal, but then will need it written down before she leaves today.

you dont know if they have dosed her up and have already given her enough today - you need to speak to them first.

the emergancy treatment bit is about A&E care not calpol

addictedtosuckingblood Wed 07-Oct-09 11:29:45

she could be alergic to it or may never have had it before. her parents may prefer to give her something else.

DONT give her medication with out specific permission. which NEEDS to be documented

woowoomommy Wed 07-Oct-09 11:41:46

thanks, she has had it before from them i know but they have not provided it today so i have take that as not permissable dont i...poor love is sobbing on my shoulder as i type

addictedtosuckingblood Wed 07-Oct-09 11:59:01

keep calling her mum and dad, poor thing. have you tried her emergancy contacts? they may have another number for her parents?

i think she definatly needs to go home sad

woowoomommy Wed 07-Oct-09 13:36:53

sorted, finally got hold of them, gave her calpol...by the time dad arrived she was laughing and giggling...typical! I look like a fraud now!

addictedtosuckingblood Wed 07-Oct-09 13:46:01

typical!! kids got to love them hay grin

glad its all sorted now tho.

FABIsInTraining Wed 07-Oct-09 13:48:26

That will be the calpol kicking in.

DS2 sobbed for 35 minutes yesterday and was all chatty once we got to the docs as the calpol was working.

Agree with Fab, that's because she has had calpol, give it an few hours to wear off and they'll soon see why you called them. Hope she's feeling better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now