Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder's Club: Gov help with childcare costs?

(13 Posts)
KatieMac Thu 09-Jun-05 20:06:13

Hi

I have been watching anoher thread with interest and I know (along with other childminders) that the Gov gives help with the CTC & WFTC to some parents with childcare costs.

But I don't know how much (up to 70%) or to whom or what the limits are

Does anyone know a website with some basic info on so that I can recommend it to some of my parents

We were discussing it today and figures of £19K, 28K and 52K were all mentioned - is there an easy to understand version of the rules?

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 20:11:49

Hi KatieMac

On my website I have a section called 'Help with costs'. That has some info and a link to the IR website with that info. Got to go make dinner otherwise I'd look it up myself.

KatieMac Thu 09-Jun-05 20:15:08

Great website HB & a lovely link - but there was no info on that site about the wages levels of parents which is what I need.

Even just roughly ie if you have 1 child and more than XXX don't bother or if you earn less than YYY give it a go

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 20:18:44

Sorry, didn't read the thread properly. Not sure about the salary and agree, would be good to have that info. They don't make it nice and easy for people do they!

kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 20:47:50

Before I gave up my job to childmind we weren't elligable for the wtfc because although we were earning less than 52k, I wasn't working enough hours to qualify and my childcare costs for 2 full days x3 children worked out at @£120 per week, this is one of the reasons that I handed in my notice as I wasn't prepared to hand over 75% of my salary (although my childminder was excellent). It is just unfortunate that the proffession I left is always crying out for staff.

SoftFroggie Thu 09-Jun-05 20:57:21

Go to the "do I qualify" section, and type in some imaginary figures.

try here

There's an amount below which you get the maximum amount, if joint income is over 52k you get nothing (slightly more if have a child under 1), and there's a sliding scale between.

One issue is the credits are based on joint income so if you jointly have over 52k the childcare has to cost less than the lower earning partner earns or it's not worth them working.

KatieMac Thu 09-Jun-05 21:34:26

Thanks SF,

But it is sad & annoying that figures are not easily availiable

ssd Fri 10-Jun-05 11:17:48

Phone up th TC helpline KM. They should tell you straight away.

LunarSea Fri 10-Jun-05 11:36:03

KM - can you cat me and I'll send you something which you can run on a PC to give you a quick estimate (faster than the IR one). I keep meaning to put it up online somewhere but haven't got around to it yet.

zebraZ Fri 10-Jun-05 11:38:40

Lunarsea keeps linking to a chart which does give some quick rule-of-thumb like figures that you want, KatieMac, look for her posts under the relevant topics, I'm sure you'll find it.

Provide the info with the proviso that people only get what the IR calculates they will get, though, and the IR computers are notorious for getting it wrong!

zebraZ Fri 10-Jun-05 11:38:58

ah, see, she about beat me to it!

KatieMac Fri 10-Jun-05 11:42:25

Have CATed you Lunarsea

Look forward to seeing it
KMc

LunarSea Fri 10-Jun-05 11:58:11

Zebra - that chart's a bit out of date now, but I've got an online interactive one which does the same sort of thing (only better).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now