Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to ask for nannying/MH in Essex?

(13 Posts)
PixiNanny Wed 07-Oct-09 09:00:54

I realised a little late that I hadn't thought much about how much to ask for in the Clacton/Colchester area of Essex! What is the normal wage there for a nanny? I'm 20 and will be finishing my NVQ3 whilst working. I was going to ask for £5-6 hourly, is that okay in a live-out position? Should I change it for temping/part-time work?

Thank you

AtheneNoctua Wed 07-Oct-09 09:48:44

I think that's fair for a just starting out and not yet qualified type of job. But, of course, you will probably move on and want to earn a bit more in say a year or two. But two years in ananny job is a probably a good length for someone in her early twenties.

PixiNanny Wed 07-Oct-09 10:39:30

Well I'll be doing it temporarily until Feb as I'm going back to PGL then, and will hopefully work a ski season next year as a nanny so it's not a permenant thing or anything As long as I'm being fair in wage now, I was thinking that I may need to make it higher if I'm expected to travel too, would that be okay? Not higher then £6 obvs, but at the higher end of £5-6. I'd prefer at least £5.25 for a job I can walk too but will take less if they're nice people grin

AtheneNoctua Wed 07-Oct-09 13:45:25

Actually, if anything, I think it might be a bit low.

PixiNanny Wed 07-Oct-09 15:47:25

Really? I'm having a lot of trouble finding places to let me continue my level 3 at the moment so am having to resort to looking at being a student nursery worker (not what I prefer!) and only one nursery has said they'll consider me so far! I can't stay here any longer but with no one in Essex willing to let me finish my course without going to classes I'm screwed

Millarkie Wed 07-Oct-09 19:49:49

I would think that a little low but I'm the other side of Essex. When I was last looking for a live out nanny (couple of years ago) the not-very-experienced but first aid cert and CRB types were £7-8 gross. Temps get a lot more in my experience, even for jobs that are a number of weeks long rather than occasional days.
Is it a college you are having trouble finding? Are there any distance learning type places that you could try?

PixiNanny Wed 07-Oct-09 20:26:56

Yep, all of the colleges in my area have basically told me to f-off, the Colchester Institute was particularily rude to me. I have been asking around about distance learning but the companies either do the course but have no one in Essex, or don't do the course at all. I'm trying to find some form of distance learning wher eI can finish it but my search will have to continue tomorrow. It will suck beyond anything if I can't finish it as it means that I can't work a ski season next Christmas and won't be able to find nannying jobs (age going against me)

One nursery out of the load I called seemed semi-interested, but only because the manager wasn't in today and will be calling me back tomorrow. I hate being so close to finishing and having done all this work for nothing.

AtheneNoctua Thu 08-Oct-09 12:53:41

Can you get a live-in position somewhere closer to the college? or maybe a different college? If not, and you are not getting jobs at the current offering I gues you might need to drop the price. But what you are charging does not seem like a lot to me.

PixiNanny Thu 08-Oct-09 13:02:31

They college is in Cirencester, Gloucs. I'm from Essex and would like to spend time at home before going to France in Feb. I've considered live-in but then I'll be left without a social life again, and not seeing my boyfriend which to be honest, I can't put up with either of those situations anymore. The only thing that is holding me back from leaving Gloucs is my NVQ. I'm meeting my tutor tomorrow and plan to beg her to keep me on, I'm perfectly happy to come back to Gloucs and have meetings with her and do anything to not have to drop this.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 08-Oct-09 14:49:25

assume the wage you are quoting is nett (tho should be gross)

so yes £6nett sounds fair

Millarkie Sun 11-Oct-09 13:46:54

Hey Pixi - Are you looking for work right now - bumped into someone today (more NE essex than your bit) but is desperate for new AP - might be good for a fill in job at least??? I think you have my email address if interested.

AngelNanny Sun 11-Oct-09 17:02:11

Pixinanny, please don't feel down.

I am 21 and have had many childcare jobs. I have had permanent and temp jobs and have fantastic references. I have been a babysitter, nursery assistant, nursery nurse, room leader, sole charge nanny and maternity nanny.

My first nursery job was in March 2005 and
my first nanny job was back in April 2006 (I had literally just turned 18). I completed my NVQ level 3 on the job and had an assessor come to see me every month or so. It was harder to do the NVQ as a nanny because it is very much nursery based but my tutor worked with me and i literally just followed the assessment criteria, writing reflective accounts etc. instead of following the tasks.

For my fist nanny job, at the age of 18 with nvq 2, first aid, crb, child protection etc. i was earning around £8 gross per hour. I think around £6 net/£7 gross is a fair wage.

So please do not give up, there is hope. If you are good there is always someone willing to give you a chance.
You could also always try doing an open uni childcare course instead if you cannot stay with your tutor. You may be able to get full funding and it is distance learning. E100: Early Years Developing Practice is a good one (take about 8-9 months) or there are shorter course you could start on to ease yourself in.

Good Luck Hun!

PixiNanny Mon 12-Oct-09 21:57:21

Apologies for neglecting the thread!

Millarkie: I'm looking to live at home or with my sister in all honesty, I want to be around home for a little bit before I move onto France! But thank you for telling me

AngelNanny: Wow, you've done your fair share of work! Lol. I'm considering open uni but not just yet, planning on doing th Childhood and Youth Studies course though

Update on my course really, but my tutor has actually turned me down for distance learning now, however I can continue within the next three years so I'm going to spend this winter doing anything for money (for France, car, laptop, presents expenses & a few nights out!) and go back to Essex for 6-9 months next winter to finish the NVQ before starting an open uni degree I think trying to rush it now will just cause me to break down, I'll just work on what I don't need a tutor to observe or do and finish all of that by next Christmas, find a tutor to observe me and finish that way.

Thank you for the help in this thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now