Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM club- Attendance register?

(15 Posts)
Fruitbatlings Tue 06-Oct-09 21:05:29

Can I get away with getting the parents to sign the register at the end of every month rather than every week?

I just keep forgetting to ask them to sign it at the end of the week. Especially as one mindee only does Mons/Tues and another only does Thursdays. I'd find it much easier to get all the parents to sign at the end of the month when I give out the invoices.

I'm sure Ofsted would think this would make my life far too easy and insist on it being done every week hmm
What to you think?

Ripeberry Tue 06-Oct-09 21:09:15

I just try and catch the parents when I can. I also have one mindee who only comes for one afternoon a week (5hrs) and I always forget to get them to sign.

childmindermk Tue 06-Oct-09 21:20:56

Ive been told by OFSTED that you dont need to get the attendance register signed by the parents, they just require you to keep a record of the times each child arrives and leaves each day.
Since i was told this at my last inspection nearly 3 years ago i have not got the parents to sign...in fact i now keep my record of attendance in a diary rather than a register, as i find that so much easier!

Katymac Tue 06-Oct-09 21:24:17

On the other hand I was commended by OFSTED for getting the parents to sign in & out each day - I also use a diary

HSMM Tue 06-Oct-09 21:24:38

I have always kept mine in a diary and have never got parents to sign (the children are often picked up by assorted different aunts, grandparents, friends, etc anyway - pre approved). Ofsted have always been happy (so far).

Fruitbatlings Tue 06-Oct-09 21:35:48

Really? Are you sure?

Thank god for that! I've got about 3 years to catch up on otherwise......

atworknotworking Wed 07-Oct-09 07:19:32

I think it's good practice for parents to sign that they agree with times, but I don't think it's mandatory as yet, so I can't see a problem with a monthly sheet I do one for each child, so it's confidential (in addition to a daily register) the sheet has a months times on each side, parents sign it at end of each month or when atwork remembers blush

WailingGhoshe Wed 07-Oct-09 07:33:05

I have a timesheet for each child by the front door, Parents sign their own child in and out.

I have been doing it for two years, parents forgot initially (especially the ones who had been with me forver, and funnily enough Fathers in particular), but they all got there eventually.

New Clients did it from the start, so it has never been a problem.

I have a clock by the book, so they know exactly what time it is, I do find it helps with time keeping as well, as often parents will say, OMG I'm ten minutes late/early, when they have to sign the ACTUAL time they arrive, does stop it.

Fruitbatlings Wed 07-Oct-09 09:19:40

I like the sound of that WailingGhoshe!
Shame I haven't got space by my front door for a table to keep it on (I live in a teeny weeny flat)

If I had a big house I'd have a lovely antique table to put it on [fruity dreaming again......]

Katymac Wed 07-Oct-09 09:21:45

How about a clipboard on a hook/shelf with an attached pen?

It is hard making it all work

Mine don't sign my attendance records and no comment was made at inspection about that. They don't sign it at school/nursery so I don't see why people are being asked to do this?

4kidsandlovingit Thu 08-Oct-09 14:57:08

Mine have never signed my attendance records either, I also use a diary but I do like WailingGhoshe`s idea of getting them to sign in and out. I`ve had endledd problems in the past with late collections and just yesterday one mum turned up 10 minutes early just as I had got out of the shower. She seemed a bit put out that she had to wait for me to get dressed before the door was opened but my kids know better than to open the door to anyone even if they know who it is.

thebody Thu 08-Oct-09 18:31:03

Ofsted told me that as well, but I am scrupilously careful to put down the absolutly correct time a child arrives and leaves the setting.

4KIDS I think that she should wait in the car if she is early or at least have the decency to text you first to see if its ok to drop early, she couldnt just leave them at a nursery like that.. have a word..

dmo Fri 09-Oct-09 11:34:53

ofsted told me not to worry bout signing in and out
good practice to keep a guest book and also to write in times children come and go but no need for signing

SillyMillysMummy Fri 09-Oct-09 22:09:33

WG as ever great suggestion grin will be putting that one into action myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now