Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I deal with 13month old Tantrums?

(7 Posts)
TimeFlys Tue 06-Oct-09 19:13:41

Started new post when my charge was 10months and for the last 3 weeks he has just become really sad. Throwing himself on the floor the usal tantrum behavaiour. However no matter what I do it doesn't seem to help. I tend to just ignore him - however he is stll so young I almost feel bad. I also care for his older siblings who are under 5. And I almost feel sorry for them. Spoken to MB but she just spoils him so prehaps that's why he is the way he is, I just feel he should be used to my way now? Any help greatly appreciated

argento Tue 06-Oct-09 19:18:28

I look after a 14 month old and she also has "tantrums", it's just typical of the age. Try to see it from their point of view, life is very frustrating for them! They know what they want but often can't do it, can't get it, can't communicate it. Is there a particular pattern, like certain triggers you can avoid?

The best thing you can do is try to distract them. I do comfort and sympathise with my charge - she's not being naughty, just angry and upset and can't express it any other way.

frakkinpannikin Tue 06-Oct-09 19:45:25

Is he pointing at something, trying to communicate and you can't understand? Maybe he understands 'no' and doesn't understand the why yet? I also used to look after a little girl who had tantrums and eventually I worked out it was either she couldn't communicate what she wanted or SHE knew what she wanted but couldn't work out why she couldn't have it?

He will come round to 'your' way but he just doesn't have the capacity and the reasoning to deal with it yet and his principal way of communicating is to scream.

All I can suggest is removing him from the situation that's upsetting him and distraction.

TimeFlys Tue 06-Oct-09 20:04:02

It can be over ANYTHING!! Too long getting out the buggy. If I go in the other room. Being in a large group of people etc- I have experience yet I just feel for this age he is rather young to be upset about waiting in the push chair. I literally have to take him out before I open the door or else the whole street hears!

argento Tue 06-Oct-09 21:03:13

I think it all sounds very typical of this age. My charge hates being left in her pushchair too long, hates it if I leave her behind the stairgate while I go into the next room, hates it if I turn away from her for too long while cooking, hates having her nappy changed, hates if something is out of her reach or I take something away from her, hates if I hand her the cup when she wanted somethign else...

frakkinpannikin Tue 06-Oct-09 21:11:06

He just doesn't understand because he can't plan far enough ahead into the future to know that the current situation is not permanent, but he does know he doesn't like it and how to communicate that fact!

nannynick Tue 06-Oct-09 21:53:06

Could you try wearing him (in a sling, or backpack) instead of using a buggy?
Many of us don't like large groups of people - I don't like them. Can you avoid such places?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now