Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed from a Nanny - what is the best age mix for 3 children in a nanny share/

(6 Posts)
munteria Tue 06-Oct-09 17:36:23

hi there

calling all nannies for much needed advice!

I have two children and am going back to work in January (they will be 3 yrs and 11 months by then). I have done the sums and cant afford a nanny just for my two so am considering a nanny share for 4 days a week, from 8am to 6pm. My questions are:

- will a nanny want to and be able to look after 3 children (my 3 year old will be at nursery each morning during term time)?

- what is the best age mix of the children? I was thinking two babies and one toddler but not too sure?

thanks very much!

frakkinpannikin Tue 06-Oct-09 17:53:15

Yes nannies will.

2 babies will turn into 2 toddlers, plus you'll need a double buggy, 2 high chairs, 2 cots/places for them to nap...

2 toddlers would be simpler logistically, although they are harder work!

Having said that you may just have to take what you can find.

Ebb Tue 06-Oct-09 17:56:12

I think two babies would work best as if you get another 3yo, you have the issue of them maybe going to a different nursery/playgroup which might make drop offs and pick ups harder. Also it'll probably work better financially having a baby 8-6 rather a toddler 1-6. The babies will keep each other company and do activities whilst your toddler is at nursery.

Lots of nannies look after 3 children so I'm sure you'll find someone suitable.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 06-Oct-09 17:57:34

yes a professional nanny should be able to look after 3 children, even 4 wink

where did the 2 babies and one toddler come from?

do you mean that the other family would have a baby and a toddler, so in thorey your nanny could be looking after 4 under 4 (yr 2 and her 2)

yes your 3 yr is at nursery ams but also have to think about holidays and afternoons (12-6pm)

if you go for another baby then you will need to think about double buggys, and 2 of some things, ie travel cot/hi chair

to me the prob best age would be another 3yr so both would play together, and be sensible/safe when all out together on a road, ie able to listen and hold hands etc

tbh i wouldnt worry too much about the age, but make sure that the parent has the same views as you on disapline,food, routine etc

Ebb Tue 06-Oct-09 18:03:20

Blondes I took it to mean the ops 3yo and baby plus a nanny share baby. smile

Seems I'm out numbered on the two babies being easier! grin I look after a 5yo and a 19mth old and 16mth old so I'm biased! Obviously 5yo is at school so a bit easier.

munteria Tue 06-Oct-09 18:05:02

thanks very much, feel reassured! i said 3 as i thinking about finding a family with one other baby / toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now