Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

would it put you off a CM if they had in their garden, a swing and slide set and 8ft trampoline,

(34 Posts)
carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 13:11:46

from a saftey pov?

other things in the garden would we a wooden playhouse.

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 06-Oct-09 13:14:39

Presumably the CM wouldn't leave your child alone in the garden?

I think it sounds great, ds (17mths) loves the trampoline - supervised, of course.

EightiesChick Tue 06-Oct-09 13:15:19

I don't use a CM myself but I can't say it would. I assume that if I trusted her to do the job properly, she would make sure the stuff was only used under appropriate circumstances by kids who were old enough.

frakkinpannikin Tue 06-Oct-09 13:15:27

Not as long as children were supervised at all times, the surfaces were appropriate and the trampoline was netted

Elk Tue 06-Oct-09 13:15:34

I may ask what rules they had in place to ensure the childrens safety but mostly I would think it was great that they had such excellent out door play equipment and hope it was used alot.

Merle Tue 06-Oct-09 13:16:53

Is this a serious question? It's like asking would we be put off a CM if they have toys? Would you prefer a CM with a back yard, barren of all equipment?

PinkChick Tue 06-Oct-09 13:17:06

smile...every registered cm has to complete risk assesments on 'everything' so you will have to sign a parent consent authorising the use of this equiptment.
The cm should also have policies detailing how she will supervise the use of all outdoor equiptment etc.

i have an 8ft (enclosed) trampoline, a playhouse, a slide and soon to be a swing..none of my children have ever been hurt (touch wood LOL) as i look after them as i would my own and make sure they know our 'rules' ie: share, dont push/shove, take turns, fasten zip(older ones) on trampoline net etc.

MAke sure she has policies in place but no, i would be extremely happy that she had so many outdoor resources for them smile

claricebeansmum Tue 06-Oct-09 13:19:00

This would be a big sell to me. DC bouncing around all day in the fresh air...

carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 13:19:31

oh yes the children would be supervised at all times, oh and theres a sandpit too.
and a few ride ons, wheelybugs a cosy coupe

carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 13:20:42

oh yes the trampoline is enclosed

Ripeberry Tue 06-Oct-09 13:25:23

Most large trampolines CANNOT be used by children under 6yrs old (as per manufacturers guidelines). It does NOT matter if the parents sign a consent form as the child would NOT be covered by the insurance.
I have a trampoline in my garden but its for MY children's use only as all my mindees are under 6yrs old.
I may even get rid of it as it can't be used whilst minding.
The swing and slide will have to be age appropriate, so if a 3yr old falls off a slide made for older children then again, won't be covered.
Best to go to park playgrounds and do risk assesments for each and everyone.

PinkChick Tue 06-Oct-09 13:26:45

i can see what you're saying, but really if shes reg, insured and you and your LOl are happy with her then you need to trust her to care for your LO as well as she always does smile

carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 13:28:37

suppose its the difference between what you allow your child to do and what you can allow anothers to do.

like i allow my dd whos only 2 to go on the big trampoline, but shes my child.

also what about letting them lick the cake mix bowl?

carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 13:29:48

i'm talking about my garden, and if i was a CM would it put you off?
or would i even be allowed to let the 2 years olds on it etc

if i was a cm i would only have a max of 2 mindess

Poledra Tue 06-Oct-09 13:36:39

It didn't put me off grin - my CM has the osrt of equipment you describe, though her slide set is a Little Tykes one, so not huge. Mind you, that is the one my DD1 fell off when she was 18 months old. It was an accident but DD1 did end up in A&E (she did that toddler thing of stopping breathing with the shock). My CM handled it wonderfully and DD1 was not really hurt. CM needed a stiff drink afterwards mind you!

IMO, I'd rather the DDs were outside all day playing when the weather permits and I trust my CM to care for them in the garden as she cares for them elsewhere (near the road for example!). I love picking up filthy, happy, knackered little rugrats at the end of the day smile

Oh, and yes to licking the cake bowl, as long as they don't eat more mixture than goes into the oven. wink

BlingLoving Tue 06-Oct-09 13:36:47

My SIL's main reason for loving her CM is that she has a lovely garden with lots of toys including a swing and a slide.

PinkChick Tue 06-Oct-09 13:37:57

ah, i thought you were the parent visiting cm's...i dont let my dd or any mondee lick the cake mix..i did as a child...so do ALL of my mindees at home but we CANNOT let them for fear of food poisening!

Niknak21 Tue 06-Oct-09 13:45:02

I would see the equipment as a positive

flier Tue 06-Oct-09 14:13:59

the equip would have to be safety checked and risk assesments carried out, and you could show these to prospective parents. I would see it as a big positive.

carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 14:14:34

if i was after a cm, i'd be happy with someone that had all the fun stuff in the garden, aslong as my dd was watched properly of course

HSMM Tue 06-Oct-09 16:35:25

That's my garden as well! Mine has a label on saying no under 6s, so I have a rule that parents can take their younger children out for a bounce when they collect them if they like, but it is their reponsibility, not mine. The most accidents are around the swings (children getting bumped by them) and the occasional child slipping on the ladder up to the slide. No serious accidents and the children love the equipment.

Risk assessment - like everyone said.

WailingGhoshe Tue 06-Oct-09 17:05:44

Sounds like my garden too.

Danthe4th Tue 06-Oct-09 17:39:32

It would put me off if the cm was happy for a 2 year old to go on a trampoline that is for a 6 year old as they would not be insured.All manufacturers guidelines should be followed and I would want to know that she followed these. Some cm insurers will not insure children on trampolines so definately check. I also would not be happy if the trampoline was designed for 1 person but was used by several.
But saying all that if the children are supervised I would be happyish!!

thebody Tue 06-Oct-09 18:41:09

am a cm and that sounds like my garden too. The trampoline is for my dd only as she is 10 and all mindees too small to access so thats no problem.

I think you expect the cm to be out in the garden with the children, i always am cos garden is huge. Swing set also dds but littlies can access, with me always in attendance.

Whats wrong with a playhouse, mine love ours and parents are more than happy that children can play in such a great space, have little slide and trucks as well. Ofsted make you have risk assessments for EVERYTHING.

This is an issue of trust, if you cant trust the cm in the garden how will you trust her to look after them in her car/house/ kitchen/park.. you trust her or you dont.. thats the real issue not play equipment..

lisa1968 Wed 07-Oct-09 10:55:17

I'm a CM.My garden is like toys r us and i actually call it an extra room as the children do just as many activities out side as in.Your CM should carry out regular risk assessments and safety checks-most have policies for use of certain equipment, and forms to sign-I do for the trampoline especially- and if you are not keen on your child using something, then ask her not to let them, but don't let your child miss out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now