Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

is it possible to be a cm, part time termtime only?

(14 Posts)
carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 12:55:06

or is that living in cukooland?

ramonaquimby Tue 06-Oct-09 12:57:43

yes - I am a teacher working term time only 2 days a week - we are only family for childminder at the moment

Bigboots Tue 06-Oct-09 13:02:17

Also a P/T teacher! Both Dc's at school from September, but last year I was working 3 days and DS2 had a mixture of CM and nursery. CM pretty full (she is amazing - v. popular and the only one in our v. rural Welsh village) but worked brilliantly - she has older children who only need care during school hols, so worked well for her too.

carriedababi Tue 06-Oct-09 13:05:17

oh i hadn't thought of teachers.

basically i really enjoy being a mum, and love doing all the kiddies things like arts and crafts and cooking and playing etc.

so i have considered becoming a cm, but i would only like to do it really when my dd is in school iyswim.

atworknotworking Tue 06-Oct-09 18:33:35

Yeah I have 3 T/T only children, teachers quite a few CM's just do T/T can work well qnd gives you quality holiday time with your own children.

thebody Tue 06-Oct-09 19:03:36

advertise and see, you may be just what someone wants. good luck

Scarfmaker Tue 06-Oct-09 21:12:55

You can work whatever hours, days, you want to.

I wish I had started out as term-time only!

TheFallenMadonna Tue 06-Oct-09 21:23:17

You might well struggle if you want school hours, as teachers don't work those! But term time only would be doable I should think.

Littlefish Tue 06-Oct-09 21:27:44

Dd's two childminders were both part time, term time only, but both worked long days (7.30 - 6.00pm). Obviously, it restricts the number of families you appeal to, but there are definitely families out there looking for part time, term time only care.

Good luck.

Danthe4th Tue 06-Oct-09 22:56:07

Yes I work term time only mon,tues and weds 7.45-5.30 and I offer a term time only contract and as I don't want to work the holidays I don't charge a retainer, this is a selling point to parents as cm's who work all year round will often charge a retainer. I do charge slightly more per hour than other minders to make up for it.
The only problem is when you first start out you have to be a bit flexible it took me over a year to get the mindees doing these hours but in another year they may well be moving on to playgroup so the hours don't remain the same for ever.

morocco Tue 06-Oct-09 23:04:06

sounds ideal for someone like me too - maybe not lots of people queuing up but enough to make some money out of it. I'd rather have term time only cos then I don't have to pay during the holidays (I don't get paid for them so makes a big difference)

WriggleJiggle Wed 07-Oct-09 00:12:35

I would love to find a p/t CM who only worked term time.

isittooearlyforgin Wed 07-Oct-09 04:16:11

my cm does termtime only and its precisely what i want (teacher too) so fab all round as I don't have to pay for the holidays!

You are self employed and can work how many hours you want and whatever days you want.

Wether you get enquiries that match what you want is entirely another matter of course! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now