Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminders Club: loads of vacancies (moan)

(19 Posts)
kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 15:06:02

Have just spoken to my local childrens information service to be told that there are no less than 30 childminders in my area with vacancies... no wonder I'm not filling my vacancies!

lunavix Thu 09-Jun-05 15:07:10

There's over 50 in mine

No wonder I've only had 4 calls in six months...

kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 15:08:38

Beats mine I've had one since ocober last year...made me feel better about the number with vacancies tho!

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 15:08:46

My friend has over 70! She's having a hard time too!

Have you thought about putting together a little website?

kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 15:10:27

Yes it was me who started the thread the other day. Not got round to doing it as my youngest is at home poorly this week and she tends to be clingy

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 15:11:16

Oh yeah - sorry, forgot! Did you see my note with the different websites to advertise on? You never know.

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 15:11:49

Sorry, forgot to say hope she gets better soon!

kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 15:12:43

Yes had already done118118 and yell.com but couldn't acsess(sp) the others

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 15:14:18

How come you couldn't access the others?

jambo1707 Thu 09-Jun-05 15:18:41

I would love to have a childminder for my boys whilst I go to work but i simply cant afford it

May sound very mean i know but both me and dh work and now my friends care for my boys as this is by far the cheaper option for me.

We obviously do not recieve tax credits as we both work but our salaries aint the greates by far i assure you.

In our area there is also a lot of childminders with vacancies but my opinion as stated is that due to tax credit changes working parents aint really better off and simply cant afford registered proffesional childcare, therefor rely totally on friends and family which aint always the best option either

Sorry to have a moan

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 15:24:16

But the government help towards costs - I have a link to info on my website about this. Maybe you don't qualify but I'd check it out!

Make sure you don't get in trouble though as it's the law for people to be registered if they are looking after kids under 8 in their home (unless it's family)

Just in case you didn't know this (I didn't before I looked into becoming a minder myself)

jambo1707 Thu 09-Jun-05 15:34:24

thanks helly belly

We dont qualify for assistance unfortunaTLY

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 15:37:26

That's a shame. Just mentioned it in case you didn't know as again, I didn't know about this before I saw their website.

Kcemum & lunavix - hope you get a bit more luck soon!!

kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 15:57:08

Thanks Hellybelly, had trouble accessing the other sites because a lot of the time I get into these sites and then get completly confused and end up in a right muddle...I would have difficulty navigating my way out of a paper bag if I'm honest!

Jambo1707 I once minded for an extremely well paid proffesional couple last year who didn't qualify for the working tax credit, they however had the cheek to tell me that I was too expensive but I am by far the cheepest minder in this area.

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 16:00:44

kcemum - if you want to put a little something together, I don't mind wacking the info on these sites for you!

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 16:01:45

if you do, send me an email - info@helenslittleangels.co.uk

kcemum Thu 09-Jun-05 16:03:53

Ah thanks hun, may do that later when my kiddiwinks are tucked up in bed.

HellyBelly Thu 09-Jun-05 16:05:04

no probs. off now to play in the garden with my ds!

jambo1707 Thu 09-Jun-05 19:09:16

kcemum

Thats terrible what that couple did to you.

You obviously hear a lot of this from working parents, but we honestly cant afford it.

We do pay my friend though but no where near what we would pay a registered childminder.

You guys deserve every penny you get as you trully are angels. You give up your home practically to care for strangers children, these cherubs result in looking upto you and advancing very well.

I do wish however the government would help working families also not just sigle parents

Hope all works out and you get your numbers up

All the best hun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now