Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Using Busy Bees vouchers while registering nanny with ofsted

(11 Posts)
mamahonor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:20:13

Hello.

We're just starting the Ofsted registration process with our nanny and I imagine it will be a few months before it is sorted. Is there any way of getting the benefit of busy bees vouchers while the registration is being processed? Can they be backdated? Or is it a case of having to wait until she is fully registered to begin using them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also for anyone who has been through this, how long did it take ofsted to process the registration?

nannynick Sun 04-Oct-09 21:44:54

You will need to ask your voucher administrator. They may be able to issue the voucher but not let them be redeemed until they have the provider's details.

Registration time varies, took me a couple of weeks but that was two years ago now. Once registration is through, nanny has to contact busy bees and complete a form and send a photocopy of the certificate (at least that's what I remember doing, it was a while ago). So whole process could easily take a month, if not months.

catherinemummy Sun 04-Oct-09 22:00:28

You can stockpile vouchers (at least you can with the electronic versions) - I think they last for a year (but not certain).

Our nanny's Ofsted registration took 6 weeks, the main hold up is the CRB check. I know of others where it has taken 3-4 months, again because of the CRB check.

Paolosgirl Sun 04-Oct-09 22:05:29

Make sure you do this sooner rather than later, as the voucher system will be closed to new entrants next April and phased out over 5 years. Another one of GB's barmy plans...

mamahonor Sun 04-Oct-09 22:10:07

Thanks everyone for your help, all very encouraging. I was expecting it to take 13 weeks and that's after the nanny completes her first aid which won't be until November. Nannynick, did you see my question about first aid on another thread (6 hours or 12 hours?)

frakkinpannikin Sun 04-Oct-09 22:17:52

You need the 12 hour paediatric 1st aid for OFSTED really, although there is some weird phrasing which means it doesn't actually SAY that IIRC.

nannynick Sun 04-Oct-09 22:25:38

Didn't see it. First Aid has to be 12 hours and I think it has to be recognised by Ofsted as well - though they may accept most things.

Guide To Registration - page 41 of the PDF contains First Aid guidance.

Katymac Mon 05-Oct-09 09:36:52

St John's Ambulance has told us that they will no longer be running the 12 hr paed. course - it is too long due to changes & will be shortened

I don't know how that affects us

nannynick Mon 05-Oct-09 10:06:16

As long as the shorter course covers all the criteria it with luck will be fine. Did they say how many hours the new course will be - 10?

Katymac Mon 05-Oct-09 10:24:49

Just shorter - 1 day or 2 half days - it is being discussed

mamahonor Mon 05-Oct-09 11:07:05

There are quite a few training providers (e.g AID training) offering a 6 hour intensive course that they say meet the ofsted requirements for voluntary registration. The guidance notes from Ofsted also say there is no minimum length of course. I'll call ofsted and try to clarify.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now