Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM club - Holy crud, I wasn't expecting this.....

(29 Posts)
Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 13:24:17

I recently asked for a variation, got it very easily.
I have just asked for another variation and have just received a voicemail from an Ofsted inspector wanting to "come round to chat" about it shock I expected it last time but, as it was so easy, I didn't think about anyone coming round this time.

My paper work is shocking and I never ever get the register signed blush

Will it be like an mini inspection? or will she just want to talk about my new request?

It's the same lady I had for my 1st inspection, she was very nice but I can see through that, I know they have ulterior motives hmm

She wants to come over on the 8th or 9th October [scared]

atworknotworking Thu 01-Oct-09 13:36:07

Go through your paperwork quick and update what you need too, then pop and get some nice bickies.

I would imagine she will question you about how you intend to care for all of the mindees should the variation be accepted, at least it's not a straight forward no.

Booh Thu 01-Oct-09 14:20:27

I had this as I have had a lot of variations (only a few childminders left here) - it is like a mini inspection, sorry to say. Last one I had wanted to go through my EYFS stuff to see how I was meeting the childrens needs and planning to see how I could meet them.

Got the variation!

squirrel42 Thu 01-Oct-09 15:01:36

I'd imagine that the focus of the "chat"/visit will be to examine how you would cope with the extra demands of whatever your variation is about; ie enough space and equipment, what procedures you have planned for doing the school run with an extra baby or whatever. But I'd be surprised if an Inspector called and didn't ask to see at least that day or week's registers.

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 18:13:59

Gah!

Ok, I've spoken to the inspector and arranged a date, I have just under two weeks to get started, don't know where to begin, fire drills I suppose (seems ridiculous as there is only one way out of my tiny flat hmm) How many of those should I have done over the past 2.5 years?

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 18:14:51

get sorted not "get started"

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 18:16:05

You know your paperwork is shocking, you assume they have ulterior motives.

How about you do what you are meant to do and accept OFSTED is there to protect the children, not make your life easier.

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 18:28:12

Yes it is shocking, but only because I can't afford to hire the extra staff to do all the paperwork while I entertain the children (like in a nursery). I don't really like ignoring the children so I can keep up to date with paper work

I know what I'm going to ask Father Christmas for this year; More hours in the day so I can keep up with Ofsted's requests!

Perhaps I should just forget about sleeping at night, could do it then - who needs sleep anyway? I'll sleep when I'm dead grin

Northernlurker Thu 01-Oct-09 18:42:16

Are you planning to fake the paperwork re having done fire drills that you haven't done? shock If there is only one way out of your flat then that's exactly why you should be doing the drills and planning for all circumstances whilst you're looking after other people's precious kids. 'Don't know where to begin' rather implies that this is the tip of the iceberg.

I imagine that you are applying for a varietion so you can provide more care - how about you forget that and do all the parts of the job you currently have.

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 18:44:14

I agree.

If there is only one way out, what do you plan to do in a fire if that way is blocked?

If I was a mum reading this and you were my cm you would be getting notice tbh.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Thu 01-Oct-09 18:47:13

No no no don't fake paperwork, that's not right at all. By all means get yourself up to date and perhaps write yourself up an action plan to get yourself organised to do the bare legal essentials you should be doing. Once you've gotten on top of it, it will be far easier to get yourself into a system and it won't take as long.

How long ago was your inspection?

Afraid you'll have to do what we all do, paperwork on days off and evenings if you can't get any time to do it when mindees are sleeping/happily & safely occupied. It really is important to keep on top of it.

MaureenMLove Thu 01-Oct-09 18:57:15

Fruitbatlings - do what needs to be done now, i.e a fire route, if you haven't got one already somewhere. I'm sure you have, if you're registered, because they'll have certainly insisted you had one, on your last inspection.

Then start getting the register signed everyday! I'm sure things aren't that bad. There are a 1,000 hoops to jump through, I know, so stop worrying, get off here and get yourself sorted!! winkgrin

My paperwork was never fantastic. I had all the policies in place, but I was cavalier in my ways! It got me a satisfactory on my final inspection, before I gave up, but I couldn't give a fig tbh. The children were happy, the parents were happy (and showed me in many many ways) That was enough for me!

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 18:59:26

No I'm not planning on faking paperwork.
Please, I'm feeling very stressed right now. I'm so busy being "a wonderful childminder" (quote from all my parents) I fall behind on paperwork.

It doesn't make me feel any better being told I'd be given notice if I were your CM.

All my parents are shocked about how much paperwork CM's have to do and hate the thought of me having to do it all when I'm so good with the children.

I have glowing references and have been in childcare for 12 years. CMing for past 2.5 years and a Nanny previously to one family for 7 years.

Please don't flame me. I've had some lovely conversations with all of you in the past, it doesn't really lift my spirits to be pounced on

thebody Thu 01-Oct-09 18:59:53

FRUITBATLINS ignore the usual shit from some of the smug ones above, do as AVARDA says, dont lie just make sure all policies in place.

I never do fire drills with mindees, and Ofsted were fine with that they are all under 3 for gods sake and are afraid of the smoke alarm noise, if there was a bloody fire I would get them out of the play room exit like any sane person.( but of course I have a written policy to reassure parents of this)

Fab Baker Girl, get a grip, no cm would be good enough for you anyway would she!!

Dont worry bet your parents and kids love you and I always find Ofsted inspectors normal and sane, unlike some mumsnutters, they understand the pressures on CMS working alone without all the bloody nursery structure.. good luck

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 19:04:20

thank you thebody, it means a lot (holding back the tears!) - Get a grip Fruity! blush

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 19:08:24

Why do I need to get a grip? I am entitled to post my opinion. And you have no reason to comment on my life.

MaureenMLove Thu 01-Oct-09 19:09:09

<<jumps up and down, like a small child wondering why she wasn't acknowledged>> I was supportive too!!!grin

Don't get yourself in a pickle about it. Make a list of the important ones to sort and tick them off as you go. It's most rewarding to see a list getting smaller!!

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 19:18:14

Sorry, Maureen, I know you were being supportive too, most of you were smile

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 19:18:51

I'll start my list now smile

squirrel42 Thu 01-Oct-09 19:26:41

Out of interest what's the variation for - is it a particularly long-term or unusual request? Just curious because often you do just need to give the details and a basic "how I intend to cope" plan like you probably did for the last one.

Then again if this is your second variation in a shortish space of time and you haven't been inspected for a while, they may just want to do a checkup to see how things are going first I guess...

thebody Thu 01-Oct-09 19:35:39

Fab you would give notice to an obviously wonderful CM because she didnt have a written fire drill!! thats why I said get a grip..

No CM is good enough as in previous posts you have stated,'Thats why I would never use a childminder' so think my comment valid.

I know you have a right to have your opinion but I dont like people who kick others when they are obviously down and in need of support..

maureen always you talk the sense matey.

Fruit let us know how you do chuck.x

Fruitbatlings Thu 01-Oct-09 19:39:04

One of my mindee's is leaving in January. I've had a lot of interest from parents with under ones. I have my own 6 month old baby so my request is to have two under ones.
So I wouldn't have any more children just that two of them will be under one

My last request was to keep having the same children after my baby was born

squirrel42 Thu 01-Oct-09 19:50:32

Ahh, prospective variations always seem to be a bit more of a hard sell than when they concern current mindees or siblings of current mindees. That might be it.

I'd get on top of records and policies as much as you can, especially focusing on the welfare related ones like fire plans, emergncy contacts, registers, that sort of stuff rather than learning and development obs and plans. But if it comes up during the visit just be honest and highlight all your plus points and positive parent comments etc while acknowledging the areas you recognise you need to develop further. (Even if you don't agree with some of the million tonnes of paperwork!)

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 20:23:36

When did I ever say I wouldn't use a childminder?

Though it is true as I prefer to look after my kids myself.

The reason I said I would give notice is I wouldn't be happy with someone who didn't have a proper fire escape plan.

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Thu 01-Oct-09 20:33:50

You know what? It really doesn't matter. Fruitbatlings, I am sure you are a brilliant CM. I have read another thread and it just puts things in perspective. I still feel you need to keep on top of things better but apologies for annoying you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now