Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - Can I go into 'liquidation'; and shut down as NOT ONE parent has paid me

(25 Posts)
Booh Thu 01-Oct-09 09:37:00

And I feel like a charity

Have really really had enough of this, its is getting worse and worse every month.

Invoices for the month are send out about 10days before the end of the month, I do a text reminder, and a reminder in the childs daily diary.

Will do letters today as need to tell them that late fee is being applied

Also not one voucher has gone through yet either and some of them take about a week to clear into my account

isittooearlyforgin Thu 01-Oct-09 09:40:36

that's shocking! Can't believe that in quite a close relationship parents will not pay. I am very aware of when to pay cm and i do it every week.

starwhores Thu 01-Oct-09 09:41:29

When they bring their dcs tomorrow be out!

Booh Thu 01-Oct-09 09:47:47

Very hard to be out at 7am!

I am getting very disillusioned with the whole childminding thing ATM

Have just got through an ofsted inspection and now this again

madusa Thu 01-Oct-09 10:14:08

get them to pay on a monday morning for the week ahead. If they don't have the money, don't take their child

crace Thu 01-Oct-09 10:55:09

Give them the letters with the late fees, and state on the letter from here on out if it's not by ** date then the fee will be applied with immediate effect, and if not then paid by ** date you won't be able to accept their child.

starwhores Thu 01-Oct-09 11:02:51

Aren't people awful. Could you not answer the door?

Katymac Thu 01-Oct-09 11:11:18

Realistically removing care is not an option

Are they paying in arrears or in advance?

Either way a late penalty fee is appropriate

I was only 25% down this month - last month I was 60% on the 1st

I don't think clients are intentionally rude/thoughtless/lazy but I do know it annoys me

HSMM Thu 01-Oct-09 11:20:56

I reluctantly charge late fees when I need to (persistent late payment). I invoice parents about a week in advance and they are supposed to do a bank transfer into my account, to be there on the 1st. I have one set of parents who pay by CARE4 vouchers, and they are normally fairly prompt too. I normally have 1 or 2 payments a couple of days early and all the rest are late! Ask how they would like to be paid late? Suggest removing care until payment is made (but like Katymac said, this is not really practical).

BrieVanDerKamp Thu 01-Oct-09 12:03:28

And actually you can not legally refuse care.

I was in this situation once, and I was told that if I did not take the child I would also be in breech of contract, and if taken to court I could have to pay for any emergency childcare they may have used as a result of refusing care!!!!!!

Not fair I know, all seems in favour of the parents, I think though if you were to write it in all contracts before the child starts - No pay, No care - then that should be fine.

BrieVanDerKamp Thu 01-Oct-09 12:04:37

Sorry should have said it was NCMA legal advice phoneline that gave me the above info

hennipenni Thu 01-Oct-09 12:10:27

Agree with Brie, I was told exactly the same along with the parents being entitled to sue you for loss of earnings. it really sucks doesn't it?

atworknotworking Thu 01-Oct-09 13:40:49

Booh I would be happy to send invoices on your behalf if you like, just say that an agent is taking over the invoicing side as it takes up too much time, have done this before and it works well as it becomes less personal.

Don't mind in the slightest and I don't charge grin

isittooearlyforgin Thu 01-Oct-09 17:12:48

I can't believe you can be prosecuted for removing care, the parents have already breeched the contract by not paying. You can not seriously be expected to take children if you don't get paid. I don't mean straight away but with a deadline. Afterall if you don't get paid you can't provide electricity, food, etc to keep your charges safe and well cared for.

thebody Thu 01-Oct-09 19:43:41

Thats shocking for you, what utter bastards some people are. phone them all NOW and say unless all money is paid upfront and in cash tomorrow morning then you cant accept the children.

Tell them you have taken legal advice and you have to act upon it.

I couldnt work with parents like that tbh so when you get the full amount I would give them all notice and start again.. honestly there are lots of wonderful parents out there, I have great ones and they wouldnt dream of not paying me..

Brie is right but they wont know that will they..

thebody Thu 01-Oct-09 19:48:02

and anyway if they do sue you have a good case yourself and if you keep accepting this you will loose more and more money.

small claims courts are really fair in my experience, just cos NCMA say you could be sued doesnt mean that you will or that they will win does it?

Anyway in my house dh wouldnt let them through the door if they didnt pay me so that would be that..

If you tell them no cash no childcare they will pay..

isittooearlyforgin Thu 01-Oct-09 20:26:13

But there must be some point where you are completely within your rights to terminate your contract, you can't keep taking children forever and never getting paid for it. No court in the land could expect you to carry on providing free child care forever

netdaddy Thu 01-Oct-09 20:50:53

Booh,

how about this for a suggestion....

tell them that you are sick, maybe depression ????

give them a months notice, and spend the rest off month sick.....

you will not be taking any money from them...but you have to bite the bullet

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 01-Oct-09 21:02:38

this is why i now insist on payment in advance - no money no childcare.

Katymac Thu 01-Oct-09 21:53:16

Me too

I sent out a newsletter last money & I had a 50% improvement this month

frakkinpannikin Fri 02-Oct-09 00:28:07

Maybe 'if you don't pay I will take this as your intention to give X weeks notice and will readvertise your space'?

Then you can remove the care, because they've given notice by not paying and it should ensure you get paid on time each month!

VirginiaLoveGlove Fri 02-Oct-09 01:24:50

deffo send out an addendum letter to everyone's contract stating late charge fee. people have priorities and paying their child care providers should be one of the highest. a late payment ought to be v rare imho.

i use a cm and a nursery btw.

isittooearlyforgin Fri 02-Oct-09 19:31:41

think frakkinpannikin's idea is spot on!!

Julesnobrain Fri 02-Oct-09 20:11:59

I would move to payment monthly in advance and a late fee of £1 per child per day if it is not paid by X date. I would invoice payments 7 days in advance to remind them.

butterscotch Fri 02-Oct-09 21:11:11

I'm being nosy I use a childminder and would never dream of paying that sometimes I might be a day late CARE4 vouchers but I always ask if that is okay first with my CM. Why would a parent risk upsetting the carer of their child?

Personally I would have a new clause in your contracts if possible saying fee's over due by 1 week will be given 1 weeks notice and the place offered to another child.

Some people are shocking as a full time worker I appreciate my cm fee's are her wages and i would be screwed if my wages weren't paid on time why would i expect her to work with no payment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now