Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

should i pay or should my family?

(11 Posts)
crispycake Wed 30-Sep-09 18:21:26

Im a nanny and my boss wants me to become ofsted registered, which is fine by me! it just its going to cost me abit!
I am booked on a first aid which is £115 then i will have my ofsted reg costs and insurance etc etc!
I dont know if family and nanny usually half the costs or i pay or the family!!
Opinions very welcome!

thisisyesterday Wed 30-Sep-09 18:25:25

hmm well my first response would be that if they want you to do it then they ought to pay.

that said, if you can afford half and they want you to pay half then i would, simply because it would presumably help you career-wise?

nannynick Wed 30-Sep-09 18:31:38

The first aid and insurance I feel you should pay, as a professional nanny will be keeping their first aid training up to date and these days will have public liability insurance.

The Ofsted Reg fee is another matter... as currently the scheme could be argued to only benefit the employer. However being Ofsted registered does enable you to apply for jobs which specifically request someone already registered.

nbee84 Wed 30-Sep-09 18:44:48

Agree with nannynick

I have known for it to be paid for by an employer but in the nannies contract for it to be pro-rata over the year, so that if the nanny leaves after 6 months she will owe her employer half the registration cost. This seems fair to me, as if the employer pays the yearly fee up front and the nanny leaves shortly after then the parent loses out whilst the nanny gains the ofsed registerd status for her next job.

crispycake Wed 30-Sep-09 18:47:23

thank you!

frakkinpannikin Wed 30-Sep-09 19:56:46

I'm with nbee except that it should only apply if the nanny gives the notice or is dismissed for gross misconduct.

If she's made redundant or parents suddenly decide they want someone who speaks Swahili it's a bit harsh to expect the nanny to foot half the cost of registration when she may not need it for her next job.

K75 Wed 30-Sep-09 20:01:02

Agreed; Nanny's usually pay insurance and first aid and we pick up the Ofsted.

nbee84 Thu 01-Oct-09 00:50:51

Yes, very good points frannie ('tis my shortened version for your name grin)

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 01-Oct-09 15:12:19

i feel that as your family benifit from you being ofted reg that they should pay for it (think it is £103)

yes nannys should all have 1st aid, but doesnt the ofsted reg one have to be a 2 day course (about £80) so i feel that they should pay for this

i did a refresher 1st aid a few months ago and costs £35

all professional nannys should have nanny insurance, and the nanny should pay for that her/his self

nannyL Thu 01-Oct-09 20:20:35

agree with blondes

we pay our nanny inasurance incase our bosses sue us and they pay the rest as its for their own benefit

djfb Wed 07-Oct-09 13:20:12

If your employer pays the taxman views it as a benefit in kind and so you will have to pay tax on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now