Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

is it ok for my friend to have my kids for 1 hour before school then?

(18 Posts)
nvj Wed 30-Sep-09 17:57:02

where can i find the rules on childcare and being registered etc.... is it ok for my friend to have my kids for 1 hour including 20 minute walk to school on a regular basis if she's not registered. she doesn't take any other kids, just her own.

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 30-Sep-09 17:59:04

As long as you dont pay her any money or give her presents to say thankyou then yes I think its ok - but dont quote me

Tis a ridiculous law imho

nvj Wed 30-Sep-09 18:01:01

oh really... i was intending to pay her actually....bugger.

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 30-Sep-09 18:05:50

Nooooooooo if you pay her that is illegal

You can only pay her if she is a registered childminder - and to do that involves jumping through umpteen ridiculous govt hoops

Ivykaty44 Wed 30-Sep-09 18:07:31

how old are the kids?

mrsjammi Wed 30-Sep-09 18:08:35

Message withdrawn

nbee84 Wed 30-Sep-09 18:08:38

I thought that you could pay her and she didn't need to be registered as the care is for less than 2 hours per day?

nvj Wed 30-Sep-09 18:11:29

nbee84 - that is what i believed too? because it is less than 2 hrs per day?? bit confused and can't seem to find anything to confirm what the rules are?!
Ivykaty44 - my kids are 4.5 yrs old (twins!)

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 30-Sep-09 18:13:12

Ah now I didnt know about the less than 2 hours a day bit - that may be true

But I dont know how that fits in with the new silly law about "if you drive kids about on a regular basis you are a peadophile unless you prove otherwise" law

Ivykaty44 Wed 30-Sep-09 18:16:22

You will legally atm need

get friend to come to your house and look after twins before school and then take them their is fine - as she is acting as a nany and they are different.

Or get frined to register as a child minder

Get a registered childminder

ater 8 years then it is different

nvj Wed 30-Sep-09 18:20:16

ivykaty44 - even if it is between 45mins-1 hr a day??
my girls will be going round to her house. she doesn't want to get registered as it is such a faff and she would have to change a lot in her house i think to meet regulations.
registered childminder easier said than done as none in area really, only one that i have found and she has minimum 2 hr a day policy....
breakfast club at school is full


reikizen Wed 30-Sep-09 18:26:49

On this point, a link to an online petition to change this law...God, hope it works grin

nbee84 Wed 30-Sep-09 18:39:05

I think if you read this from Ofsted (click on one of the links, reason no 2) it reads as not needing to register as care is for less than 2 hours a day

Lonicera Wed 30-Sep-09 18:42:30

In your shoes I would just quietly get on an do it and hope no-one dobs you in it

nannynick Wed 30-Sep-09 18:43:16

Currently under the Children Act 2006 childcare which takes place for less than 2 hours in any day (so the total amount of time that children unrelated to the carer are cared for between 2am and 6pm) is exempt.

Legislation here
~~~ Quote ~~~
Exempt childminding
3.—(1) The circumstances referred to in articles 2(1) and 2(3) are where a person makes the provision(2)—
(i)a child or children for particular parents, wholly or mainly in the home of the parents, or
(ii)a child or children for particular parents (“the first parents”) and, in addition, for a child or children for different parents (“the second parents”), wholly or mainly in the home of the first parents or the second parents or in both homes;
(b)for a particular child for two hours or less per day; or
(c)only between 6pm and 2am.
~~~ End Quote ~~~

Interestingly though I've just spotted that (b) says "for a particular child" not CHILDREN. So where care is for more than one child, even if they are from the same family, then it MAY be illegal - though it would be up to the Regulator to catch you doing it first, plus then for a tribunal to make a ruling (as you would probably complain and take it to tribunal to decide).

atworknotworking Wed 30-Sep-09 22:08:46

Yeah what NannyNick said

<<atwork pretending to know all about it emotcion>>

piscesmoon Wed 30-Sep-09 22:37:10

I think that everyone should just carry on doing their own thing.

Arfa Thu 01-Oct-09 09:39:05

Although the legislation says less than 2 hours a day is exempt, if the arrangement happens on a regular basis (they say 14 days or more in a year) then it isn't. However, the offence isn't the minding on its own, instead it is continuing to do so when you have been served with a notice to quit by Ofsted. So, until you get a knock on the door from Ofsted, I would continue as you are and, hopefully, before then the very well paid law makers will have botched it up again finally got it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now