Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you expect to...

(27 Posts)
Mousey84 Tue 29-Sep-09 17:48:52

1) Pay for contracted hours if you decide not to send the children that day, and mindee holidays are charged at full rate?

2) If you kick up a fuss because cm cannot take kids on the 3 days a year that school finishes early because they are full until normal school closing time, then cm makes other arrangements so they could take your kids for the next early day. Would you then expect to pay the overtime plus contracted hours(2-4), if you pick up at 1.35?

I was originally trying to sound unbiased - that I could be parent or cm, but that clearly didnt work! Im pretty sure I know what everyone will say for 1, but 2, Im not so sure.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 29-Sep-09 17:49:54

No idea and don't understand tbh.

Mousey84 Tue 29-Sep-09 17:54:27

ah, sorry. I see it makes no sense - trying to get dd ready to go out while writing!

If you arrange for extra hours as well as contracted hours, but then come to pick up the kids early, would you expect to pay for contracted hours even if you didnt use them?

BradfordMum Tue 29-Sep-09 17:57:28

Yes. You booked a space and chose not to use it.

Mousey84 Tue 29-Sep-09 18:19:23

Thanks BM

frakkinpannikin Tue 29-Sep-09 18:34:43

In both, yes, the space is booked so should be paid for.

But for 2, assuming they're before/after schoolies then surely CM wouldn't be full because they count as over 5s? Unless by full you mean s/he has other commitments which require car trips and s/he only has a 5 seater so there's no room or similar.

Danthe4th Tue 29-Sep-09 18:38:03

Yes but it depends how well you get on with the mum,and I always invoice and get paid in advance so the hours are paid for regardless of whether they are used and because I know the mums well I may sometimes credit them, does that make sense.

Mousey84 Tue 29-Sep-09 19:03:33

Dan, unfortunately, while they have contracted hours, they are frequently over them, so I cant invoice in advance.

Frakkin, i have a dd too, and added to the mindees I have til 1/1.45, I dont have the space (3 kids in that family). The mum was advised of this when starting contract.

Ive only been a cm for 9 months, but Ive had no issues with any other families but this one. I was close to giving notice a fortnight ago. This may be the last straw. Think Ill call NICMA tomorrow for advice.

Oooo, I thought you were a parent blush.

Sounds, like you would be well rid - hate it when parents think they have exclusive rights to the service we offer. Happily, most of my parents have been great over the years, but did have one who would try it on when she didnt bring dc - didn't lose any sleep when lost that one. grin

nannynick Tue 29-Sep-09 19:13:42

If they are frequently exceeding contracted hours, review the contract - get them to agree to more contracted hours.

HSMM Tue 29-Sep-09 19:24:38

Yes and Yes. Parents pay for availability.

Mousey84 Tue 29-Sep-09 19:58:26

Im so relieved with all these replies. I thought I was in the wrong re 2).

Mindee mum shouted at me in front of her kids about it today. " £x means nothing to me, its the principle of not telling me I would be charged"

I didnt think it was necessary for me to clarify the contract again (there has been a few points raised long after contract signed, but I pointed out the contract had been followed to the letter, so all calmed down.)

Nannynick -I feel the contract in terms of contracted hours is ok "as is" It states contracted hours plus any overtime after 4pm as required. Sometimes its only 10 mins, other times its 45 mins. I dont have any other kids coming to me after 4pm, so thats not an issue.

I think its partly my fault - I was far too soft with them as they were my first family (only got cert the morning of the day they started!) I let them haggle price, let them off with being up to 10 mins late without additional fee etc. Now its all got out of hand.

Give notice - I wouldn't let anyone speak to me like that in my own home, let alone in front of mindees angry. And if DH heard them he would show them the other side of the street never mind the door. They are using a valuable service that you are providing, they are not your employer - as such they have no right to speak to you like a piece of shit poo on the bottom of their shoe.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Sep-09 20:21:34

I am often shock about how people treat their childminders. (I am not a cm, I am a mother whose dd2 is looked after by an absolutely fantastic and outstanding cm)

This family appear to be treating you very badly.

Ripeberry Tue 29-Sep-09 20:27:47

Remember you are a businesswoman! smile, you are not employed by her, she is using a service, if she has booked it then she pays for it whether she turns up or not.
You are available to work, it's her loss.

PinkChick Tue 29-Sep-09 22:10:53

Poor you sad..i always find those you bend over backwards for (hence my own threads lately!) are the ones who take the pee!....if you feel that re iterating the terms of your contract again, or even telling them, sorry, ive been turning a blind eye but now cant, wont help then give notice....i just have, am a huge amount a week down and having to go to court for outstanding notice fees, but am glad i did give notice, the family on the whole have shown them selves to be completely the opposite of how i thought through rose tinted glasses! sad

thebody Tue 29-Sep-09 22:30:39

I would give notice to any parent who shouted at me.. dh would kick them out of the house anyway.. these are red flags, give notice and fill your space, plenty of nice parents out there..

Mousey84 Wed 30-Sep-09 07:51:41

I have just written notice of termination. Bit sad I will only have the kids 18 more times. Oh well. Not looking forward to telling her today.. esp as I know there are no other CMs in the area who can take all her kids. Must not cry, must not cry, must not cry....

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 30-Sep-09 08:45:24

It isn't your problem that the other CM are full.

Have I read it right that she is late picking up her kids but didn't think she ought to pay?

thebody Wed 30-Sep-09 13:13:19

agree with Fab, she gets treated how shes treated you and serve her right.. she should have thought of that before shouting at you and abusing your service..

Mousey84 Wed 30-Sep-09 17:42:59

FBG - she picked them up early, and did not use scheduled hours on last day of school.

Dad decided to pick kids up today from school so I didnt get to speak to kids or parents. I think they know whats coming and withdrawing kids. Too many other kids to care for today to invite a parent down for a chat.

thebody Wed 30-Sep-09 19:19:17

you just make sure that they stick to your contract...

Danthe4th Wed 30-Sep-09 19:33:55

I would still invoice in advance the contracted hours and add any overtime from the previous weeks. I do 2 weeks in advance, and it works well for me.

Mousey84 Wed 30-Sep-09 19:53:20

Thanks. Will be bearing all this in mind for next mindees. The kids wont be back effective immediatley (well, as of 5 mins ago.)

PinkChick Wed 30-Sep-09 20:36:15

What happend then chick?, are you getting your notice period paid??.xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now