Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do I report an unregistered cm charging cash?

(24 Posts)
MrsHyde Tue 29-Sep-09 11:40:14

I recently needed to find a cm for my DD1 to do after school care. Have never used one before as DD1 went to nursery. There were hardly any around who would pick up from her school, but the school gave me the name of one living nearby. I went to see her and she was lovely, did just before and after school care for old kids - no pre-schoolers - and seemed perfect, until she mentioned that she was not OFSTED registered. She had been before but let her registration lapse when she stopped taking pre-schoolers.

She looks after 8 - 10 kids before and after school. As it turned out I found someone else who is registered and could accomodate DD1, so went with her instead. My DH said we should report the unregistered cm but I have not done so - my thoughts with the parents I would inconvenience - but given the current hoohah in the press am now wondering if I should. Inconvenient for the parents yes but ultimately safer if she is properly checked? Obviously the school knows and trusts her as she has been doing it for 10+ years.

BTW I totally support the mums doing childcare swaps but this is different as she charges cash.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 29-Sep-09 11:45:58

20 kids a day @3.50 per hour for at least one hour each (say half hour each, morning and afternoon) = £350.00 per week cash in hand. If two hours a day then 700 quid a week hmm

I have much less of a problem with ad-hoc arrangements than I do with someone screwing the state out of all that tax.

There's no way she can be paying tax I presume? Declaring it as a craft club or something?

<hopeful, don't want to think someone is that dodgy emoticon>

MrsHyde Tue 29-Sep-09 11:52:30

to clarify, don't think she has all the kids every day, probably 6 max at any one time, but still 6 x say 3 hours per day (1 before school, 2 after) x £5 per hour (£3.50? not where I live!!) x 5 days per week is £450pw. and yes I would be very surprised if she declared it to pay tax

i was more concerned that she had no insurance...

islandofsodor Tue 29-Sep-09 11:54:10

If she only looks after children aged 8 and over she does not have to register thought she should be declaring her income.

MrsHyde Tue 29-Sep-09 11:56:41

my dd1 is not yet 5 and she was quite happy to be taking her. am sure some of the others are under 8

islandofsodor Tue 29-Sep-09 12:02:05

In which case you need to report her unless it is for less than 2 hours per day.

Danthe4th Tue 29-Sep-09 18:50:35

You don't know that she is not insured, ncma do insurance for people who only do before and after school care and you do not have to be ofsted registered to care for older children.You also do not know that she doesn't still do a tax return as she would still be sent one.

You have to be registered for Under-8s - and your child still falls under EYFS. Personally, I wouldn't touch anyone who wasn't registered - I would also let the school know that they are recommending a carer who isnt registered to care for under-8s.

Did she tell you she had no insurance hmm. If so can't believe she has got away with it so far. What would happen if anything happened to your dc while in her care.

stomp Tue 29-Sep-09 21:46:02

I think you should at least tell the school that the person's name they gave you is in fact an un-registered child-minder (not to be confused with a Registered Childminder wink). The school should not pass her name around.

thebody Tue 29-Sep-09 22:36:16

I couldnt do that to anyone unless I thought the children were at risk..

Just suppose you do report her and she looses her income, you have no idea of her circumstances, I just think what comes around goes around..

I am a registered cm and understand how annoying it is to have others who arnt registered poach your business but still I couldnt be the one to do that.. good luck with the decision though, hard one

BlueGreen Wed 30-Sep-09 10:18:52

I would report to be honest. If she is accepting cash means she is not paying taxes. Which would annoy me as a tax payer!

To me it is no different then benefit cheaters!

Ripeberry Wed 30-Sep-09 19:37:59

There is an unregistered CM at our school. All the teachers know her and the parents speak highly of her hmm
But I've met her and she seems OK and my life would not be worth living around my village if she ever got reported.
But of course if she was dangerous then I would report.
If parents are willing to use these people and would lie for them, then I despair sad

Ripeberry Wed 30-Sep-09 19:40:04

I asked her once why she did not register? She said it was because of her garden and the fact she can't be bothered with EYFS and having policies.

mumtoted Wed 30-Sep-09 19:57:21

No I wouldn't, but I have been on the receiving end of nosey neighbours resulting in investigations (I was innocent and nothing came from it but I cannot put into words the awfulness of it). Tell her to sort it out before she gets reported by someone.

forehead Thu 01-Oct-09 17:06:10

I would mind your own business. She will probably get found out anyway, but let it be on someone elses conscience.

doggus Fri 02-Oct-09 22:14:49

Totally agree with forehead and thebody. You might completely ruin her life, give her a break.

hocuspontas Fri 02-Oct-09 22:25:18

Why does being paid in cash automatically make her a tax dodger?

ABitBatty Fri 02-Oct-09 22:26:49

You don't know that she isn't dangerous or has been removed from ofsted because of something she's done though? The garden thing might be a lie, she could have been in trouble with the police for something.
I would definitely report.

sallyssuperstars Sat 03-Oct-09 21:14:31

You do'nt have to be registered to care for over 8's, But that dos'nt mean she's not paying tax and ins!!! Why does everyone assume the worst???

frakkinpannikin Sun 04-Oct-09 19:38:16

If you tip off OFSTED they'll investigate, probably give her a slap on the wrist and talk her into registration. Hoewver as others have pointed out if she has them for less than 2 hours/day in total she can do that every day of the year and not need to register.

I'd also casually mention to whoever at school told you her name and ask if they knew that the registration had lapsed. It may be the school honestly didn't know she was no longer registered.

Okay, you might ruin her livelihood but she's breaking the law. No matter how ridiculous you think that law is, it's still the law and if you can pick and choose which ones to obey then where does it end?

juuule Sun 04-Oct-09 22:19:58

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

It's possible that she is paying tax and ins.
It's possible that she only has under-8s for less than 2hrs per day without being ofsted registered.
It's okay for her to care for 8y+ without being ofsted registered.

If there is no concern for the children in her care then I'd leave her to it.

islandofsodor Mon 05-Oct-09 12:38:30

The OP has already stated that she has offered to care for her under 8 for more than 2 hours.

juuule Mon 05-Oct-09 15:32:58

Although the op says that her dc is under 5 she doesn't say whether cm would have had her for 2hrs+.

islandofsodor Mon 05-Oct-09 22:48:14

By MrsHyde on Tue 29-Sep-09 11:52:30
to clarify, don't think she has all the kids every day, probably 6 max at any one time, but still 6 x say 3 hours per day (1 before school, 2 after)

Ok so not definate hours. It would be interesting if the OP came back and said what hours she was looking for for her child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now