Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help- head exploding, nanny with two jobs, one set hours, one ad hoc. Tax etc?

(5 Posts)
ally2104 Mon 28-Sep-09 11:02:10

Hello
Will try to be brief and as clear as possible! Basically I have been on mat. leave for 9 months, and am now looking to go back to work. I already have an ad hoc holiday job lined up with my former employer. Will be paid an hourly rate for this. Could be as little as 1-2 hours a day, or up to 5-6. Also won't be all the hols, just as and when required.
I'm also looking for a term time job, 3-5 hours a day, (wraparound or after school). This would be my 'official' job IYSWIM, as would be set hours, same amount each week etc.
Would the tax office let me pay tax on the holiday job on a self employed basis? I am absolutely not looking to dodge anything I owe, but can't see the traditional nanny share thing working at all, as my holiday job will be such irregular hours it would be a total nightmare to try and work out.
I will probably give the tax office a buzz and sound them out, but just wondered if anyone here had any ideas.
Thanks!
Ally x

nbee84 Mon 28-Sep-09 11:14:21

I think you would use your tax code on your regular job and a br tax code on the other - though because of the nature of the job and the ad hoc hours it is quite likely that you will be able to be self employed for that job.

frakkinpannikin Mon 28-Sep-09 21:15:31

You can be employed and self-employed simultaneously so as long as you meet the criteria for self-employment on your ad hoc job then you can just use your usual tax code for your perm job and do a tax return at the end of the year for the other one.

Eddas Mon 28-Sep-09 21:19:48

i was going to say the same as nbee84, use your tax code on yor term time job and get the ad hoc people to tax you at basic rate(they should do this automatically if they are the 2nd employer) then you'll not have to file a tax return each year.

ally2104 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:14:18

Fab, thanks everyone! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now