Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

changing from 2 seperate days childcare a week to 2 together - advice anyone?

(13 Posts)
Rones Sun 27-Sep-09 09:31:18

Hi - we have recently started to use 2 days childcare for our dd (17 months) on a Tuesday and Friday and will continue this arrangement for another month. I am then considering changing the 2 days I work to Monday & Tuesday to free up the rest of the week but was wondering if anyone knows whether it's more beneficial for my dd to go to the childminder on 2 separate week days (so Tues & Fri) or if changing to Monday & Tuesdays would be OK?

Someone at work said she'd heard that it's better for the child to separate the days out, hence why she does this with her ds.

Any advice appreciated!

franklymydear Sun 27-Sep-09 09:33:40

Seriously? This is an issue?

shock

It makes no difference at all.

New mums are kinda mad aren't they? I can't remember if I was this mad, I'm sure I was but I don't remember.

balijay Sun 27-Sep-09 09:37:49

OP are you thinking it may be an issue because of the long gap of 5 days? I wouldn't worry about it too much - kids are pretty adaptable and your dd will soon get used to the routine. Do what works for you.

HSMM Sun 27-Sep-09 09:52:09

It'll be fine. Pros and cons both ways. (I'm a CM)

nannynick Sun 27-Sep-09 17:39:25

It isn't an issue regarding if the days are together or not. What is an issue is if the childminder has the space to take your DD on the days you want.
Also consider that most public holidays fall on a Monday. So you will want to establish what happens about those days at your work and also what happens with regard to the childminder. For example, your childminder may charge for that day, even though not providing care... or may not charge.

ramonaquimby Sun 27-Sep-09 17:52:18

I used to work Mon Tues and changed after a few years to Mon Wed - there is a gap, but it's only for me to recover from working 1 day before I do another one!

will depend on if childminder can take them on the different days you're interested in. I don't see any cons myself.

Rones Sun 27-Sep-09 19:25:26

thanks for all the messages - all helpful! The childminder can take dd on Mondays and Tuesdays so that's not an issue but hadn't thought about the bank holiday issue so thanks for mentioning that!

I'm glad to hear that noone feels there are any major issues with arranging chilcare on 2 consecutive days... I think I'll go for that option!

thanks again everyone

bigchris Sun 27-Sep-09 19:29:47

i initially worked mondays and thursdays and found it perfect because my dcs could recover at hime the next day - they were always more tired after being at nursery than at home and didnt nap as well

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 19:29:56

Actually it can make a difference if your child is in child care 2 consecutive days or more spread out, franklymydear.

But if this is an established child care arrangement it will probably matter less.

franklymydear Sun 27-Sep-09 21:07:30

Actually???

Actually?

really - says who?

laracollie252 Sun 27-Sep-09 21:42:11

i am a cm and if the days are split or together should make no differance once the routine is established as once your child goes on to playgroup/ nursery/ school etc theses will be back to back days.

The only way i see this being a problem is if your cm is full and has no spaces on these days.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 28-Sep-09 10:28:03

Says me.

Through experience.

Is that okay? hmm

franklymydear Mon 28-Sep-09 17:36:35

oh right LOL

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now