Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How easy is it to get a childminder to do drop off and pick up from school and how much generally does that cost ?

(16 Posts)
herbgarden Sat 26-Sep-09 20:50:55

I'm just applying for schools for DS for entry 2010. I work part time. DD is only 8 months and is at nursery at the moment on my work days as is DS - nursery is literally on my work doorstep.

School is going to be tricky and there is an after school club but it's busy and not at DS's proposed school - they get bussed up the road.

I'm not sure what to do to be honest but wonder how popular it is to use a childminder for drop off and pick up and wonder particularly if its part time and I'm not sure also whether to put DD into childminder too although I've loved DS's nursery and he has such a lot of little mates there who he's been through with.

Any thoughts from childminders out there?
Many thanks

bigdonna Sat 26-Sep-09 21:29:16

hi im a cm i dont actually do this but i have lots of friends who do, one friend actually prefers this as she drops kids at school then has all day to herself!!!!

bigdonna Sat 26-Sep-09 21:30:34

sorry my friend charges £5 in morning and £10 at tea time that includes tea.

MPearl Sat 26-Sep-09 21:32:08

I am considering this too - so what about the cost?

floatyjosmum Sun 27-Sep-09 10:20:17

my cm has mine after school and now and agin in the morning as we generslly use the breakfast club at the school.

She charges £5 before school and £5 after including tea. this is prob 7:45 till 8:40 and then 3:20 till 6.
I love this arrangement as its flexible if im workign late as nurseries dont do flexibility!

nbee84 Sun 27-Sep-09 11:01:37

Is that £5 per hour after school? If not £5 for 2hrs 40 mins and tea is a bargain.

elliepac Sun 27-Sep-09 11:06:16

my childminder charges me £10 perday to have DS from 8.00 and drop off and pick up (3.30) till 5 (plus tea)

herbgarden Sun 27-Sep-09 20:33:40

Thanks that's useful info - I think I might feel a bit more comfortable knowing he's with a designated childminder from after school until I get him around 5.15 than being ferried to an after school club. He'll only be 4 and a bit and it makes me quite sad thinking of him looking a bit lost in an after school club................

Maybe I could put an advert up in the summer term at the school once I know if he's got a place or not to see whether there are any takers.

The cost doesn't sound too bad either - particularly after paying for a full day at nursery for the last 3 years

laracollie252 Sun 27-Sep-09 21:29:10

i am a childminder and i would charge £3.00 an hour for your son so if he came and hour in the morning and two hours after school that would be £9 per day.

Although myself and other cm's i know offer discounts if siblings are in our care and round up the extra hours which school children will be in our care when the schools are closed so that the price is the same week in and week out for tax credit claims.

pearlym Mon 28-Sep-09 17:13:45

HI

We have been lokking for someone i Finchley, North London to do Tues and Thurs after school wihtout much luck - we would pay over the odds to get the right person, so if anyone is out there looking for a few hours work with our 2 girls let me know

comewhinewithme Mon 28-Sep-09 17:18:31

My sisters childminder charges her 3.50 for each pick up and she picks him up from school 3 days a week.

nessus Sat 03-Oct-09 00:32:35

My F/T chilmdinder picks DD (8.5yrs) up at 7.15 and does the school run also, including pick-up. I pick up DD from her house in the evening. She charges £5ph (breakfast included) and an extra £1 for a proper dinner. A total of 6hrs a day, 5 days a week @ £35 per day.

This affords me the reliability and flexibility I need and allows DD to continue with extra-curricular activities as CM sees to all of the ferrying and picking up.

HTH

RachieB Fri 16-Oct-09 20:01:57

for 2 mornings ( 7.30am - 8.45am drop off to school ) and 5 afternoons (3pm - 6pm) I pay £60

missmapp Fri 16-Oct-09 20:07:30

my CM charges me £25 per day for 7.30 am til school drop off and school pick up till 6pm, it is a term time only contract, but extra days can be added on.

missmapp Fri 16-Oct-09 20:09:38

oh, thats for ds1, ds2 is still at his nursery, but when he is old enough for his free places i paln to put him in ds1's school nuresry and the CM, if she has places!! I thought about putting him with CM full time but athough she is fab, I like the nursery and want ds2 to have nursery time and cm time, IYSWIM

floatyjosmum Tue 20-Oct-09 19:49:16

hi,

actually its £6 - must have liked the five and thats a total cost for the time. means i pay 60 for 2 children after school inc food for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now