Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

registering wi ofsted-nanny

(7 Posts)
milknosugarplease Sat 26-Sep-09 19:05:16

ok, how do i go about registering with them?

also, why would i? iygwim.

do more people look at ofsted for nannies now?

what does it mean to be "reggistered with ofsted?"

sorry i'm really confused by it! A?NY advice appriciated!

nowwearefour Sat 26-Sep-09 19:14:39

it helps parents pay nannies with childcare vouchers- they pay less tax and have more money to pay you a higher salary! but i would get an interested parent to pay the ofsted registration fee. look on the ofsted site for details. is a bit of a pain- you need an up to date first aid certificate and an insurance document. but our nanny is registered and we are grateful she agreed to be.

nannynick Sun 27-Sep-09 16:52:03

How - you complete an online form or call 08456 404040 to request a paper form. When calling you need to ask for the form for registration on the Childcare Register.

To register you will need to meet minimum requirements set out in Guide to Registration also see my Guide for Nannies which explains a bit more about what Ofsted means by CR1.1, CR1.2 etc.

Yes, I think more parents in England are looking now for a nanny to be registered with Ofsted - as it means that the parents are able to part-pay using Childcare Vouchers and also means that the parents get the reassurance that the nanny meets Ofsted minimum requirements.

>what does it mean to be "reggistered with ofsted?"

Not sure what you are meaning by this... is it to do with applying for a nanny job where in the advert it states that you must be registered with Ofsted? If so, then that means that you must already be registered with Ofsted prior to applying for that job. When you are registered with Ofsted, you will have a Registration Certificate which has a unique identifier on it, which can be checked against Ofsted's database. So if a job requires that you are already registered with Ofsted, then it means that the employer is looking for you to already have the Unique Identifier which the employer can then quickly check online to confirm that you are registered.

Later this year, or early next year another scheme (ISA) will become available for all childcarers to register on - it is In Addition to the Ofsted Childcare Register. I expect that within a year of that scheme's introduction, employers will be wanting nannies to be on that register - as it enables the employer to confirm the CRB Check status (which will be updated continuously for those on the register) of the applicant.

mamahonor Sun 04-Oct-09 21:14:27

Hi Nannynick

We're just going through the process of registering our nanny with ofsted. I'm confused over the first aid requirement as the guidance notes state that there is no minimum length for the course yet your guide says it has to be 12 hours. There are a few training companies offering 6 hour courses which they say are suitable for nannies wishing to register with Ofsted e.g

http://www.aid-training.co.uk/courses/Paediatric-First-Aid-–-Six-Hour-Course.asp

Obviously I don't want my nanny to have to spend 2 days on a course if it can be done in 1.

Which is correct?

frakkinpannikin Sun 04-Oct-09 22:25:09

There's a list of requirements of what the 1st Aid course has to cover somewhere, which most 6 hour courses don't do:

From http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:A9CgMjs1riYJ:www.ofsted.gov.uk/content/download/4893/39400/file /Local%2520authority%2520briefing%2520sessions%2520-%2520questions%2520and%2520answers%2520%28Word%2 520format%29.doc+ofsted+first+aid+suitable+nannies+vocr&cd=20&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

How long should a course take?

5. There is no set minimum time that a first aid course for the voluntary part of the OCR should take. Many standard courses take 12 hours to complete. It may be possible for childcarers to undertake an intensive course in less than 12 hours. However, the childcarer must ensure that the course covers all of the criteria specified below and that it provides that they receive adequate practical training. The outcomes of the course should be that the childcarer can demonstrate independently how they would handle each of the conditions specified in Annex A.
6. People who are renewing their certificate after three years may feel that a shorter course will suffice. However, they should ensure that it still covers all of the criteria specified and provides sufficient practical training to refresh skills and learn any new techniques.

What is a sufficient level of practical training?

7. First aid courses should offer childcarers the opportunity to practice practical techniques – for example resuscitation - until they feel comfortable performing all of the techniques independently.

What is an appropriate first aid certificate?

8. Providers must determine whether their first aid training is appropriate based on the type of care they provide. What is considered an ‘appropriate’ first aid certificate will depend upon the type of provision being offered. For example, what is appropriate for a nanny caring for young children may be different to an activity based provider caring for older children. To be considered appropriate a certificate should, as a minimum, meet the criteria set out in Annex A. Providers need to also consider whether it would be appropriate to have additional training.

However where annex A is I'm not quite sure...

frakkinpannikin Sun 04-Oct-09 22:26:32

Oops! the link

nannynick Sun 04-Oct-09 22:31:37

Guide To Registration - page 41 of the PDF contains First Aid guidance.

Ofsted will accept a shorter course (under 12 hours) as long as it covers everything... which is doubtful to be honest, as the resuscitation training on infant, junior and adult (children aged 8+ are adults for resuscitation purposes) will take time to do, plus for the trainer to check that the person is suitable competent.
A 12 hour course gets quite a bit crammed into it to meet Ofsted's requirements. I remember my first First Aid Training Course was something like 20 hours, with Accident Simulation exercise - that was in the early/mid 90's though... be thankful that Ofsted don't require us to do that course, it's fairly traumatic, especially the accident simulation!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: