Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Best way to give notice to childminder?

(9 Posts)
kayakker Sat 26-Sep-09 15:41:45

Hi. Grateful for advice from any CMs or parents who use CMs. I need to give a month's notice to our CM who's been great, but cannot accommodate new times for DCs schools.

I find these conversations a bit awkward and was going to email to explain, saying that I would also follow up with a phone call. Gives the other person time to absorb the news. DP thinks emails are rude and I should just call.

Any thoughts?!

TIA.

llareggub Sat 26-Sep-09 15:43:38

When I gave notice I went to see her with DH, thanked her for being so wonderful, told her our plans and handed over our letter.

HSMM Sat 26-Sep-09 15:59:09

Face to face with a letter setting out your intentions and reasons. Including a reference for her to use in future would be a nice touch. Presumably she knows she cannot accommodate the times, so she will not be surprised?

thebody Sat 26-Sep-09 17:42:40

agree qith the above, face to face, and maybe a little gift, as she has been a good cm. Dont worry too much, cms know that mindees move on, all part of the business.

I always ask if I can give the home number of 'old' parents to serious 'new' ones as a reference, you could suggest this.

Good luck

aGalChangedHerName Sat 26-Sep-09 17:47:52

I am a CM and i would be expecting a parent to give notice if i couldn't do a change in hours.

I am sure she will be expecting notice to be given.

Don't worry about it.

Just hand over a letter and say you hate to leave but you need new hours.

pippin26 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:27:37

Its not nice for either party but I appreciate you are trying to do the right thing.

As others have suggested - a letter stating your intentions - ie I am giving the one month termination notice of our contract, the last date of childminding required is***

Go talk to her - it really won't be as bad as you think it might be.
Tell her you will do her a reference or has she got a end of contract questionnaire?
If you have been happy with her get her some flowers/box choccies/alcohol wouldn't go amiss on the end date. And don't forget to keep in touch with her - us minders get very attached to our charges y'no!

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Sat 26-Sep-09 19:33:33

Definitely that last comment, people sometimes underestimate how much we miss our mindees when they go, as I am sure the mindees do too, it's lovely to see them again once in a while

kayakker Mon 28-Sep-09 22:00:09

Thanks for this - very helpful!

kayakker Mon 28-Sep-09 22:01:13

Thanks for this - very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now