Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cost of registering with Ofsted as a nanny vs as a childminder|?

(5 Posts)
KnitterInTheNW Fri 25-Sep-09 12:56:52

I nannied for 15 years before having my own DS 18 months ago. I've been looking for a nanny job to take him to for 6 months, with no luck. We have just bought a new house which we will move into in about a month. I had decided to register as a childminder once we're unpacked properly and safe to do so, and then on Monday a lady called who is very interested in me taking my DS with me to look after her 2 DC. I'm trying to decide what would be best for me all round now, and wondered if there is any difference in the cost of registering with Ofsted as a nanny and as a childminder. I need to add that info to my lists of pros and cons for each option!

Katymac Fri 25-Sep-09 13:02:22

Not sure about cost - but time might be an issue it can take 4-6 months to register

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 25-Sep-09 13:05:06

sure cm's are cheaper to regiater - think friend said it was £35

a nanny costs (i think) £103

but sure cms on here will come and say what they have to pay

KnitterInTheNW Fri 25-Sep-09 13:53:56

Thankyou. I know it takes a while to register, that;s why I need to decide what to do to get the wheels in motion. The nanny job isn't to start until Jan 2010 anyway, so wouldn't make a huge difference.

nbee84 Fri 25-Sep-09 15:40:03

Usually a nannies employer would pay the £103 registration fee as it is they that get the tax breaks for using childcare vouchers.

Registering with Ofsted as a nanny is a much easier process than registering as a CM. As a nanny there is no home inspection (they can inspect but I don't personally know a nanny that has been inspected) and you do not have to have reams of paperwork and policies. You need to have a qualification that covers the common core skills, paediatric 1st aid and to have insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now