Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Writing a reference

(3 Posts)
Lifeinagoldfishbowl Fri 25-Sep-09 12:08:34

I have been asked to write a reference for one of the nursery nurses I used to work with - I was the room leader at the time and just wanted to know what as a employer you are looking at in a reference.

I have my own references in my nanny portfolio it's just writing one seems a little daunting.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 25-Sep-09 20:13:07

A basic description of duties: e.g. XX was responsible for caring for X number of children aged X to X.

Any particular skills she showed: e.g. she was cheerful and positive with the children, sensitive/honest/good at artwork/enjoyed cooking with the children.

Organisation skills - was she good at timekeeping/organising/reliable

Reasons for leaving/happy to reemploy her?

Things not to include: you should not make statements of opinion that are negative - ie if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

frakkinpannikin Fri 25-Sep-09 20:14:32

I used to work in recruitment and I can tell you what agencies look for if that helps - we had a checklist to go through. Off the top of my head:

reliability, punctuality, work ethic, presentation, motivations, teamwork/leadership if relevant, trustworthiness, flexibility

Just think about what you'd want in a reference and write it for her, assuming it's truthful grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now