Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

being useful

(11 Posts)
grannyjudy Thu 24-Sep-09 18:49:34

I'm a retired 57 year fit lady with two grown up children and a 9 year old step grandson, I look after another young friends 2 yr old occasionally, Would any of you mums think I could be of use to young families as a rentagranny, babysitting picking up from nursery etc.? I have time and energy. I thought I would charge about £5 an hour, I have CRB clearance from various voluntary jobs I do but not registered as a child minder - would I need to be? Your thoughts and advise very welcome

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 24-Sep-09 18:52:33

I think you would need to be registered by law as you are taking payment for caring for children that are not related to you. If it was the case that you didn't have to register to do this then anyone could and it would undermine completely all the hard work childminders do to become qualified.

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 24-Sep-09 18:54:18

and because you are doing it from your own home.

You would also need another CRB as you cannot take a CRB with you from one place or job to another. HTH.

Summerfruit Thu 24-Sep-09 18:56:03

That is a lovely idea but please do register as a childminder !

cookielove Thu 24-Sep-09 18:57:34

ahhh rent a granny, love that

nannynick Thu 24-Sep-09 18:58:18

Childminders care for children at their (the childminders) home. A nanny cares for a child at the child's home.
So it will depend on where the care is provided, as to what registration requirements there are. Childminding is regulated more than nannies - so I would suggest you only provide childcare at the child's own home, never at your own.

CarGirl Thu 24-Sep-09 19:03:27

you can look after a child for less than 2 hours per day and not count as a childminder. You could be employed as a mothers helper though ie working for one family out of their home.

littlestarschildminding Fri 25-Sep-09 08:15:51

Sounds a lovely idea :-)

PixiNanny Fri 25-Sep-09 12:11:02

Oh, the idea sounds lovely! But I think you'd have to end up trying for qualies and things!

I do know a lady who's done this, I met her through my charges swimming, she looked after the kids from their home and was paid minimal wages, but was really taken advantage of in the end

Julesnobrain Fri 25-Sep-09 16:07:11

Hi I think you sound ideal. I know lots of friends who have said aghh we would love to rent a granny especially for slightly older children. If I didn't need the am drop off I would love a granny to pick my children from school/ after school club, take then home or to clubs, make them a proper tea (AP's can't so that). Occasional baby sitting etc. You have a big advantage with your age in that you'd be a proper proxy Mum/Gran far far better than an AP. I also think £5 PH sounds fine. I would place an ad in your local mumsnet or netmums and see what happens. Good luck I wish there were more rent a granny's around

RachieB Fri 25-Sep-09 23:35:31

sounds fine so long as at the childrens house not yours

good luck
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now