Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what's a nice way of thanking a nanny for something thoughtful she's doing for me?

(16 Posts)
foxinsocks Wed 23-Sep-09 19:41:29

I know she is doing this deliberately and she's not making a big thing about it at all

when she cooks, she always 'accidentally' over cooks and leaves a portion.

My dh is on a long business trip at the moment and it is so nice to come in from work and not have to cook because there's always a delicious meal left for me.

I've thanked her profusely but I obviously don't expect her to cook for me and I know once dh is back she'll stop doing this but I am pathetically grateful for her just making my life so much easier in one small way (really does make a difference not to walk in and have to think about cooking for myself).

I was thinking of just buying her something (maybe a really nice box of chocs?) just before dh comes back to thank her for thinking of me. Does that sound naff?

CarGirl Wed 23-Sep-09 19:43:56

yes a thank you gift is so appropriate. Hmm vouchers, alcohol?

GrinAndTonic Wed 23-Sep-09 19:46:23

can you be my boss? I got up 2 hours early to drive my boss to hospital today and not even a thank you!

choosyfloosy Wed 23-Sep-09 19:47:51

afternoon off?

box of chocs v nice - i think people do it less than they used to due to 'is this person diabetic, on a diet, allergic' fear

Acanthus Wed 23-Sep-09 19:48:04

I think that sounds lovely. Chocs are always welcome. Can you maybe think of anything more personal?

Salleroo Wed 23-Sep-09 19:54:58

How about a voucher, or a really nice scented candle? I'd prefer anything to a box of chocs? A nice bouquet?

vacalocachachacha Wed 23-Sep-09 19:55:49

An afternoon off is a great idea if you can possibly manage it.

StealthPolarBear Wed 23-Sep-09 19:57:15

I assume you've already told her how nice it's been not to have to come in from work and cook (obviously not in a way that makes it seem you think it's a regular thing)? That'll give her a warm fuzzy feeling

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 23-Sep-09 20:00:27

I think something equal to what she has done for you - made your life easier for x amount of days - and chocs aren't the same really. I think an earlier finish and a nice bottle of wine is the way to go tbh.

foxinsocks Wed 23-Sep-09 20:08:54

yes might try an afternoon off with some vino/chocs, can probably manage that! Thanks!

Millarkie Wed 23-Sep-09 20:09:27

Not naff at all!

Gifts I've given - chocs (go for small but expensive), flowers, those pretty little bottles of champagne, silly socks, slippers (for the live-ins), jewellry (normally silver necklaces but depends on what they generally wear).
We took au pair out for a meal last night and I noticed that the 'restaurant' (was only Prezzo) does vouchers and made a mental note that they might be a good thank you the next time she does something more than expected.

nannynick Wed 23-Sep-09 20:11:43

I would be quite happy to get a box of Hotel Chocolate Just Truffles (they are my favourite). But then I do like chocolate a lot more than scented candles! grin Halloween ranges are now in chocolate shops, so if you know they like chocolate but want to give something they could use (rather than eat themselves) then a halloween themed selection box may be suitable.

I feel you need to try to find out what sort of things your nanny likes - she may be someone who likes flowers, chocolate, wine, smelly candles, specific brands of beauty products.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 24-Sep-09 16:07:43

what a lovely idea/employer you sound

i do the same if i know db is away and make a larger sheperds pie/fish pie/lasgane etc and say to mb there are leftovers on side if she wants it

often she does, but if she doesnt then next day i just whizz up the remains for bubba and freeze

candle/nice bubble bath - lush do a lovely rage of bath bombs that even nick might like

AtheneNoctua Thu 24-Sep-09 16:50:30

I would do an early clock off on a Friday. And I would give a wek's notice of the plan so she can arrange to do something nice. If you tell her tonight she can leave early tomorrow she won't have enough time to really plan anything. But, if you say thanks so much for the extra effort, I've arranged to come home early next Friday so you can clock off when you drop the kids at school/tennis/wherever.

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Thu 24-Sep-09 16:55:47

a lovely card with a nice message would be something she could keep and treasure.

It is so nice to be appreciated.

foxinsocks Fri 25-Sep-09 20:01:23

Thanks everyone. Yes good idea about the advance notice. I often forget that other people need to plan too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now