Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Just shouted at my charge :(

(5 Posts)
PixiNanny Wed 23-Sep-09 16:24:41

She was supposed to be at gardening club after school, so when I arrived and was told she hadn't been there I started to panic and ended up lecturing her all the way home about adults needing to know where she is and not ging to the park for an hour when her parents and nanny think she's at a school club (park at the school mind you!)

gingernutlover Wed 23-Sep-09 16:54:59

i think you having a rant was fair enough - she needs to understand the seriousness of adults not knowing where she is.

I would wonder why didnt the adult supervising gardening club wonder where she was - I would be very concerned about this if I was you/her parents.

How old is the child by the way

MrsMerryHenry Wed 23-Sep-09 16:57:12

I do very occasionally shout at my DS when he really riles me (nearly 3 - poor darling, I blame the preg hormones). But I always give him a massive hug, apologise for shouting, explain why I was annoyed, and reassure him that nothing will ever stop me from loving him.

Could you do something similar? Also you might want to explain the situation to her parents if you think she was particularly upset.

crace Wed 23-Sep-09 17:31:05

Oh, don't beat yourself up. It was definitely out of fear and worry over her. I would just explain to her that you care about her and was worried over her safety, and you shouted because you were worried. She will understand, that and a cuddle should be fine.

PixiNanny Wed 23-Sep-09 21:50:33

The adult at the gardening club didn't know she was supposed to be there as miscommunication between my host parents and the school!

I did explain why I was upset and gave her a cuddle after I'd calmed down a little, the rant wore me down a bit! We both apologised and I explained what happened, she wasn't upset luckily, found it more entertaining at first hmm. But I still feel bad, and done it in front of the staff of the nursery I've just started volunteering at! They must wonder if I'm actually alright with kids, dreading going in tomorrow

This has happened before too, her going to the park without telling me first.

& she's nearly 9.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now