Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

someone to watch new baby at the swimming pool while I am in water with toddler

(12 Posts)
bubblecloud Wed 23-Sep-09 12:05:27

Hi
I'm having a baby in December but don't want to stop my 2 year old's swimming lessons. I am thinking of hiring someone to sit with my baby on the side of the pool each week while I'm in the water. Has anyone else done anything like this? I don't have any family that are around during day times.
Thanks everyone
Bubble

Stars22 Wed 23-Sep-09 12:37:02

Is it in a big leisure centre? Our swimming pool has a creche. Would the baby be in sight? is there another parent that watches swimming lessons each week that you feel that you would be able to ask. How long is the lesson for? I doubt that you would find anyone once a week to go with you for say an hour, i would think it would be easier for you to say find a childminder that you could drop the baby off at for say a 2 hours or so each week.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Sep-09 13:05:27

why cant you leave baby in buggy/car seat on side?

thats what i do when i have younger siblings born into the jobs im in

last job they were 13mths apart, and both did swim lessons on a mon morning

baby went first at 9.30 and older bruv sat in buggy watching, and then swapped round at 10am

if not then most leisure centres have a creche

kif Wed 23-Sep-09 13:08:38

My swimming pool has an attached soft play - where a lot of childminders go with their charges.

Julesnobrain Wed 23-Sep-09 14:05:00

I sat my DD in her car seat in the actual swimming pool area so i could keep an eye on her while DS did his lesson. When she was older (and could move !!) I put her in the creche. Other Mums were doing the same and no one seemed to mind.

clayrebear Wed 23-Sep-09 22:47:38

You may find your pool wont let you leave baby by poolside in the car seat. I did this at the gym pool and got told the baby was not been looked after properly if no one is with her. The baby was sleeping fgs and every few minutes myself and my charge were checking on her in a pool with only one other group of people in.
What about a student or neighbour that would come with you for an hour and maybe sit in cafe while you go in the pool.

PootleTheFlump Wed 23-Sep-09 23:02:31

When I was a student, I was hired by a mum for exactly that reason, but I stayed at home with the younger one - try a local college that does nursery nursing etc.

Danthe4th Thu 24-Sep-09 00:11:48

Most pools allow the baby in the car seat if it is just open to swimming lessons and not the general public, I would ask about their policy but I would go with the creche, it will be the cheapest option as well.

bubblecloud Thu 24-Sep-09 10:11:29

Thanks for the messages. Its just a tiny pool which is part of a school so no creche. They do allow you to leave baby by the side of the pool which I will probably do, I was just worried in case she cries the whole time or something. May just see how it goes, but I'll see if I can track any students down too.

Thanks

branflake81 Thu 24-Sep-09 11:17:18

I noticed a baby in a carseat by the side of the pool when I was swimming on Sunday morning (not lessons, just public swim). I was quite surprised they allowed it but then again, why not? it's not exactly going to go anywhere.

Julesm79 Tue 06-Oct-09 13:28:26

Hi, did you find anyone for this job? I'm a nanny who has free time during the day while my kids are at school, I'm based in barnes SW London
Julie

bubblecloud Thu 08-Oct-09 16:36:19

Not yet, but I'm based in Herts so probably not worth your while.
Thanks though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now