Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going to a nanny share: but confused if our nanny should be paid more

(14 Posts)
LizziS123 Tue 22-Sep-09 17:51:50

Have a wonderful nanny, and we are looking at going in to a nanny share. But I wondered if anyone out there could help me: do we have to pay her more if she is on a nanny share rather than just looking after our two children?

We pay her £90 net per day.

Any advise greatly appreciated!

I would suggest a 25% pay increase as her work is going to increase so maybe increase to £115-£120 net a day and split the cost 50/50 with other family.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 22-Sep-09 18:25:57

often nannyshares are paid 50% more though sure many on here will disagree with me grin

so if on £90 a day, then you are looking at £135nett (yes nick dont yell at me)

so each employer would £67.50 a day <whispers nett> so you would be saving just over £20 a day (plus tax&ni)

have you discussed the possiblitly of doing a nannyshare with your nanny?

nbee84 Tue 22-Sep-09 18:32:28

Yes, a nanny should be paid more for a share.

My opinion is that a 25-30% increase is fair - though as blondes says, some nannies expect 50% more

nannynick Tue 22-Sep-09 19:54:40

I don't feel that a nanny should necessarily get more pay, just because it is a share. What I feel needs to looked at is how changes to the contract, changes to duties, hassle factors will impact on the nannies current job and thus determine if the new job is actually more work.

The nanny could in theory be offered the new job on the same pay level as the existing job. If they decided not to take the new job, then they you will need to let them go, by providing notice under their existing contract (may mean redundancy, as you are no longer needing a nanny to work solely for you).

When you agree the new contract (with this nanny, or a new nanny) then make sure it's agreed as Gross salary, not net. Taxation gets more complex if there are two employers... so you don't want to be dealing with net pay issues.

AtheneNoctua Tue 22-Sep-09 21:54:07

The hassle of working for two families is worth 10-20% more. 50% is rediculous... unless she/he is working 50% more hours.

Think of your own job and think about how much of a raise you would like in excahnge for hassle of two bosses and two places of work. Then relate that back to nanny's current salary.

MrAnchovy Wed 23-Sep-09 01:46:51

Sanity check - £135 net per day, that's over £48,800 a year gross. That's going to take nearly £100k of pre-tax income to cover.

LizziS123 Wed 23-Sep-09 09:44:45

Thanks for all your help - it was actually our nanny's idea as she is struggling financially, and knows that we can't afford to give her any more money.

£135 a day is a huge amount that we can't afford : especially as we are looking to split it 2/3rd's paid by us (as we have twins) and 1/3rd by the other family (we're looking for someone with 1 child to share with).

We were thinking of offering about 20% more, and trying to get her to accept a gross payment. But I just didn't know if this was unreasonable.

Thanks Nanny Nick - we have a nanny tax company so we will be speaking to them once we find the right family, to draw up a new contract between us all.

Thank you everyone.
This is a great site!

AtheneNoctua Wed 23-Sep-09 13:11:29

Why don't you look for another family to split 50/50? I wouldn't be happy paying pro rata per child to be honest. You should pay per the hours -- those where she works for both of you should be divided by two.

And remember to take into account who is buying the food that feeds them all, whose house is suffering the wear and tear, and so on.

Is she live-in or live-out?

I have had similar arrangements with previous (live-in) nannies. Basically I said this is what I can pay you. If you feel you have time to take on some other kids (prefereably from DD's school) without it impacting your care of my kids then feel free to put yourself forward. I would of course want some say in it. For example, I wouldn't want her to pair up the kids whikes to beat mine up.

Are you considering two separate contracts or one three-way contract. If the latter, what happens to you nanny arrangement if the other family gives notice.

I would pay her in gross, and then tell her she is welcome to sort out another family if she wants to. But I wouldn't take on the burden of sorting out the other family. I think your role is more in approving the family she goes to the work to seek out.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Sep-09 13:19:58

MrAnchovy - thats between 2 family's

LizziS123 - if you have twins then i think you do have to take into consideration of what age the share child is - if the same, then will be like looking after triplets for the nanny

and age depending, may need a bigger car/triple buggy to get about (if your twins are baby/toddlers)

90 a day if 20%increase would be (18 a day (nett) so £108 and if you did 2/1 then you would be paying £72 a day instead of £90

obv these are nett not gross as thats what you quoted, but sure nick would be able to work out gross for you to discuss with your nanny

MrAnchovy Wed 23-Sep-09 20:49:29

These net figures are not very helpful IMHO, so here is the full position.

£90 a day net is about £599 a week gross, which with employer's NI should cost you about £662 a week at the moment.

Increase this by 20% to £108 a day net and you are looking at £729 a week gross, again with employers NI £808 a week (an increase of 22%). If you could demonstrate that there are 2 separate employments there would be a NI saving of about £25 a week, but if the nanny is looking after all the kids at once this is going to be difficult to achieve.

So if you are sharing this 2:1, you will be looking at £539 a week which is going to be easing the burden on you a bit. The nanny's gross pay is going to go up from the £31,140 she currently gets to £37,900.

If she is not absolutely delighted with that, I am sure that there are many nannies who are just as wonderful that would be.

In offering her any increase, you should insist that her contract will state a gross salary: net salaries are not appropriate at this sort of earnings level. You should also contemplate what is going to happen if the other family pulls out of the arrangement - this is going to leave you having to pay the whole amount or making your nanny redundant.

LizziS123 Thu 24-Sep-09 09:39:30

Thank you so much for all your help. I've offered my nanny a payrise of 25%, and a move from paying her on a net basis to a gross pay, which she has accepted. So now we just need to find the family!
If anyone knows anyone in SW18...!!

AtheneNoctua Thu 24-Sep-09 10:39:38

Have you tried putting an ad in Gumtree?

Thats great you have come to an agreement hope you find a lovely family to share with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now